Day 3 in DC


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



UntitledIt was another full day of great activities and meeting. Our day started off with a meeting at the OAS (Organization of American States) to meet on sustainable development. The meeting covered three main ideas: 1. The impact of climate change; 2. Human health and enviornment; 3. Chemical exposure. Our discussion was again very positive because it provided information on improvement and success of current work happening in the Americas, as well as ways that people can help. From the OAS we headed to the Mexican Cultural Institue. The Mexican Cultural Institute is housed in a mansion that was built in the early 1900s by the US State Treasurer of that time. The building itself is a historical site and is worth an estimated $46 million dollars, not including the countless artwork throughout the home. It serves as a chamber concert hall, art museum, and special events site. After our visit we went to the HW Hotel Sky Restaurant, which was at the top of the hotel overlooking the White House. Finally we went to the Native American Museum where we were given a tour of many of the different American Indian groups that exist throughout the Americas.
-One of the things I continue to notice is the importance of language. At the OAS for example, every policy worker that works for the organization must speak, write, and read two of their four oficial languages: Spanish, English, French, and Portuguese.
-Tomorrow morning we leave for Ottawa, Canada!

Fue otro dia de muchas actividades y juntas excelentes. Nuestro dia empezo con una junta en la OAS (Organizacion de los Estados del las Americas). La junta tuve tres ideas principales:1. El impacto de cambio de clima; 2. La salud de gente y el ambiente; 3. Exposición química. Nuestro discurso fue muy positivo y se hablo sobre como el trabajo de la organizacaion ha tenido mucho exito con sus proyectos y como personas pueden ayudar. Del OAS fuimos al Institucion Cultural de Mexico. El institucion fue contruido en los 1900s por el jefe del Ministerio de Tesoro de ese tiempo. Es un edificio historico con un valor de $46 millones de dolares, sin incluir todo el arte de la casa. Usan la institucion para conciertos de musica, museo de arte, u eventos especiales. Despues del Institucion Cultural fuimos a almorzar en el restaurante delHW Hotel que queda en el techo del hotel con una vista de la Casa Blanca. Finalmente fuimos al museo de las gente indigena de las Americas. Fuimos en un tour en cual vimos muchos de los grupos indigenas que existen por las Americas.
-Una cosa que noto en cada lugar que visitamos, es la importancia de idioma. Por ejemplo en el OAS, todos los trabajadores de la organizacion deben hablar, escribir, y leer dos de los cuatro idiomas oficiales: espanol, ingles, frances, y portugues.
-Manana nos vamos para Ottawa, Canada.

Advertisement



2nd July 2007

NAMuseum
Any information about Black Native Americans at the Native American Museum or relations between persons of African-decsent and Native Americans before and after the African enslavement period in America?
5th July 2007

Native American Museum
Hi Brinell, I haven`t heard yet about Black Native Americans. However, I wil be going to the Museum of Civiliazation here in Quebec City tomorrow and my find some information. I will lwt you know if I find any. Thanks for you comments and questions! -Ren
6th July 2007

Hi Brinell, So it turns out that historically there were no Black Native Americans. One professor said that there was not a very large slave population as there was in the U.S. This could be a great topic to do further research on. Take care, Ren
16th July 2007

Hope our information prepared you!
I was thinking back to the trip Kim and I took what a great time... say hello to Jaque and Jorge when do you get to Mexico?
18th July 2007

Hi Mike, Thank you for all of the information you guys gave me. It has been a huge benefit to have some idea of what to expect. I actually just got to Mexico City last night, and head to Puebla tomorrow. Send any suggestions for places to see. I will let Jacques and Jorge know you say hello. Take care, Renato

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb