The US Capitol - My fleeting visit!


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a 2 hour flight from New York City I arrived in the Nations Capital - Washington DC. I arrived quite late at night so it was hard to see everything, but what I did see was a really pretty city. The houses and the buildings are just amazing; it makes you feel as though you have stepped back in time. My hotel itself is really close to Capitol Hill - so close I can actually see it from me hotel.






I had a good nights sleep before heading out to explore the city in the quickest amount of time as possible. As my flight was leaving in the afternoon, I only had a couple of hours before I had to get the train to the Airport.






The first thing I noticed was how bloody hot it was there. The humidity was unbelievable, like nothing I had ever felt before, and made Vegas feel like London!! Everything is pretty much all in the one area, and fortunately for me it was all within about 5kms of my hotel. I was able to see Capitol Hill, the Smithsonian Institute, the famous Lincoln and Washington Memorial as well as the house of houses - The White House! The gardens of the White House are as you would expect - perfect, and the security is unbelievable. There are guards everywhere and in the 5 hours that I was out in the streets, there were 5 police escorts with 5 secret squirrel black vans, whisked away with a complete police escort complete with sirens - you can’t help but feel like you are somewhere important.




I would love to spend more time in Washington as it really is a city built around history and patriotism, and not to mention the fact that it is beautifully with gorgeous gardens and buildings everywhere. I definately will be back, but for now it’s off to London I go…



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th June 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Hey babe, Just wanted to wish you an EXTRA special birthday for an EXTRA special friend! Thinking of you and missing you plenty but also very excited (and jealous!) for you! Looks and sounds like you are the having the most amazing time! Love you and miss you heaps. Lots and lots of BIRTHDAY WISHES! Meags xo
28th June 2007

Washington
So you did drop in to see the President ! xx Love and Kisses xx
29th June 2007

mons birthday
happy birthday darling wish we were there with u what a great trip so proud of u have a ball x x x rain gazz

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb