My Guide to Washington D.C.


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Must do in D.C.

The District of Colombia is a small square that borders the Potomac river, Virginia, and Maryland. Home of the United States government, this historic city has a lot to do and see. I live only 2-3 hours from D.C. so all of my trips there have been just for the day. There is more to be seen than can ever be seen and plenty for the whole family to enjoy in this city.

Rule #1 for visiting D.C. - Prepare to walk. Good walking shoes are a must as you'll most likely be tramping through several museums, city streets, or down the lengthy "mall" to see most of the monuments.

Most tourists are interested in a few things, namely the monuments (Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, US Capital) and the museums (Smithsonian). Of these, I recommend determining before arrival which sites you absolutely want to see/snap a photo with. No use lugging whiny kids through a museum no one wanted to see.


So here's the list of things I think are worth your time while in D.C. Pick and choose what you care for.





In the central mall area:

- Lincoln Memorial - Always crawling with tourists during the day, the best time to visit is in the evening. Lights reflecting on the pool make it almost romantic, and you'll beat the heat in summer.

- Washington Monument - Don't underestimate the walking distance from here to other sites on the mall. The history of this monument is pretty interesting but it's not much to see. Snap a selfie though!

- White House - Best photo-ops are at the fences on the north or south sides. Check their website if you want to go inside.

- US Capital - It's a mammoth of a building and often events will make you have to walk around it and/or keep you from entering. Best snaps from the mall looking up at the classic dome. Also pretty in the evening.

- Thomas Jefferson Memorial - It's a solid walk to get here but the Tidal Basin is gorgeous, especially in spring (cherry blossoms!). Perfect picnic spot.

- World War II Memorial - You can easily pass through here as you wander the mall. See if you know all 50 states and marvel at this memorial to American unity.

- Vietnam Veterans Memorial - The reflective wall showing the names of armed service members is worth a visit if just to pay respects to those who sacrificed.

- Korean War Veterans Memorial - This unique memorial honors the armed service members of the US and other nations who also helped in the Korean War effort.

- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial - New and impressive describe this one.

- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial - Hardly ever busy, this is a great place to relax and/or enjoy that packed sandwich.

- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum - Easily one of the coolest museums there is. NASA has shuttle parts and equipment that went to the moon in here! You'll also learn about the solar system, being an astronaut, and how space travel is possible. Check out the historic planes and learn about the history of flight. Admission is free at the Smithsonian.

- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History - Second in grandeur only to the one in NYC. Here you'll learn about dinosaurs, digestion, plate tectonics, bugs, gem stones, and more! Interactive exhibits are engaging and easy to navigate. Admission is free at the Smithsonian.

- National Museum of the American Indian - A very detailed history of the culture of Native Americans. This museum is rarely crowded and perfect if you want to increase your knowledge. It's a lot to see and a great museum to spend the whole day in.

- Smithsonian National Museum of American History - Great introduction to American History. Here you'll find many artifacts that tell the tale of how America grew and developed. Admission is free at the Smithsonian.

- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum - A somber point in history represented very respectfully and authentically. This museum will likely break your heart but especially if you haven't been to a Holocaust memorial, this is good place to start and learn about the events. It is kid-friendly though the atmosphere is certainly mature.

- United States Botanical Garden - Great place to experience summer on a wintry day. The canopy of exotic plants is incredible and you'll feel like you are in tropical jungle.

- US National Archives - If you want to see the documents that America is built on, here they are. Be sure not to touch or photograph! There is no map on the back.

- Library of Congress - Especially if you love old books this is the place to go. Musty shelves and volumes from centuries back only add to the scholarly feel of this place. Check hours before visiting.

- US Supreme Court - Many important issues have been decided in this building and the steps alone are worth sitting on and contemplating the role of government and law.

- Union Station - This train station is architecturally interesting and probably one of the prettiest train stations you'll see in the US (other than Grand Central in NYC).

- International Spy Museum - I haven't been, but it sounds super cool. Time to straighten that bow-tie and learn some spy secrets.

- Arlington National Cemetery - Cross the Potomac to Virginia and spend some time in the national cemetery. This is where many members of the United States military are buried or commemorated, such as the Tomb of the Unknowns.

- Mount Vernon - George Washington's stately home is just across the Potomac in Alexandria, Virginia. Learn about the Revolutionary War, George and Martha Washington, and enjoy the beautiful grounds.

- A sporting event - Nationals baseball in the summer, Capitals hockey in the winter. Fun for sports fans. Baseball games usually end with fireworks.



If you venture northwest, you'll find a few other attractions less visited by the snap-happy tourists.

- Washington National Cathedral - Beautiful building. Even without being religious you can enjoy the grounds and majesty of this Gothic cathedral. Take the elevator to the top for nice views of the city.

- Smithsonian National Zoological Park - A great day trip for anyone who likes animals. Plenty of exhibits expose you to wildlife from around the world and often teach you a bit too. Admission is free at the Smithsonian.

- Rock Creek Park - Locals enjoy wandering or running the trails in this massive park. It is easy to forget you are in a city when there is fresh greenery and a bubbling creek beside you.



A stop in historic Georgetown will expose you to the quaintly cool side of D.C.

- Georgetown Cupcakes - These sisters had a TV show and apparently their cupcakes are quite yummy. Just be ready for long lines and sugary sweetness. I haven't had the pleasure, but you can!

- Georgetown Waterfront Park - Georgetown borders the Potomac River and this park is a great place to laze with the kids on a late afternoon. Perfect views of the river and there are some water features kids can splash in.

- local shopping - Artisan shops aren't hard to find in Georgetown so if you want to do some shopping, and particularly support local vendors, this is the place to be.



Transit

The best way to get around D.C. is by taking the metro. In central DC it travels underground and will get you almost anywhere you need to go, or a few blocks shy. I recommend buying a metro card for the day, or if you are staying several days, price out the weekly pass. You can pay with card at the station when you arrive, then just swipe your card at the entrance stall and find your train. The underground stations do have a dark, damp feeling to them, but you are safe, just follow regular travel safety rules. Prices vary year to year but budget $20 for a day ticket per person.

You can also rent bicycles for the day using the Capital Bike Share. There is a station by the Lincoln Memorial. https://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

I've also seen people on segways.

I avoid taxis and buses so no tips on those since I've always been able to get around on the metro.



Must EAT in D.C.

- District of Pi, 910 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004. This is the one restaurant that I make sure to take all of my international friends who visit to. It is the best pizzeria I've found in central D.C. I like the deep-dish pizza because the tomato sauce is so fresh, the crust has the semolina flavor of fresh pasta, and the toppings are bursting with rich flavor. It's a bit pricey, about $20 for a pizza, but so worth it. And it's pi like the mathematical constant, look for that on the sign.

- Ben's Chili Bowl, 1213 U St NW, Washington, DC 20004. Featured on TV, this eatery serves up the "half-smoke", a half pork, half sausage frankfurter dog topped with chili sauce.

- You should try soft shell crab, sweet tea, shrimp, fried chicken, and barbecue if this is your furthest stop south. If not, wait til you get into the Carolinas.

Those are my recommendations, but if you want more check out this website: http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/s3/DC/Washington Typically American TV shows know about good food.



Notes about D.C.

- Summer is hot, prepare accordingly and please wear sunscreen. Carrying water with you is also a good idea.

- People are friendly, (you are basically in the south now) but please obey the laws. Don't touch, photograph, walk, or step where it's clearly posted not to. Also watch before crossing any roads. D.C. are aware of tourists but you don't want to be the one they honk at for jaywalking. Crosswalks are plentiful.

- Smithsonian museums are great, and free, but they certainly benefit from kind donations.

- This is not a city to rush through. If you've been to NYC, you'll have noticed the bustle of the people on the streets and hardly anyone stopping to have a conversation. Well this is D.C. and people here are more easy going. If you need directions, ask. If the other tourists are in your photo, be polite or wait.

- Don't feed, pet, or chase the squirrels.



Enjoy the nation's capital and comment with any notes or other recommendations! Cheers!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb