Day 39: Raleigh - Washington DC.


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yet another driving day, the second last driving day though! Today was all about getting to Washington DC. We had a lunch stop and a bathroom break, but other than that it was a direct drive. We arrived around 2.30pm at Arlington National Cemetry, just outside of the main part of Washington DC. This is the a cemetry where various military personnel are burried, and it is also the home of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and JFK's grave. We quickly walked to see JFK's grave, which is amazing and beautiful. It has an eternal flame glowing just behind it. From there we went to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to watch the changing of the guard at 3pm. The tomb wasn't at all what I expected, it was just simple, but large, marble tomb. The changing of the guard was OK, nothing special though. From here we went to the Iwo Jima memorial, which was amazing. It is the statue of soldiers raising the American flag at Iwo Jima, it was really awesome.

We had some time to get changed and get ready at the hotel before heading out for a quick dinner, then a night time tour of DC. We got to see the White House, the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial. The Lincoln memorial was by far the best of the three, its is just amazing to walk up the stairs and have Abe Lincoln appear to grow bigger as you go up the stairs. He is just sitting there, staring down the stairs as you come up, its just so amazing.

From here it was time for some nightlife. The first place we went to was packed like I've never seen before, it would have taken 20mins to get a drink if we lasted that long. The next place was really nice. We ended up staying there the whole night, dancing, talking and drinking. It was Rikki's birthday at midnight so we all made sure she was well looked after through the night. Ended up getting home about 2am and chilling in Sam's room for a bit before bed. It was a great end to a tiring day.

Tomorrow we have a whole free day in DC so we hope to hit up some of the museums, as the weather isnt meant to be so good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb