Peace Corps 50th Anniversary Program


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The National ArchivesThe National ArchivesThe National Archives

Exterior view of the National Archives
Dear Reader,

One of the perks of living in DC are the great programs that are continually on offer. Last night we attended a program at the National Archives about the early years of the Peace Corps. It was a joint project of the Peace Corps and the National Archives.

The program began with welcoming remarks by David S. Ferriero, Archivist of the United States. There was also a wonderful introduction by Aaron S. Williams, current Director of the Peace Corps. Then came the real heart of the program, a panel discussion with four of the original Peace Corps leaders. Bill Moyers, Jack Vaughn, Harris Wofford, and Maryann Orlando.

These people are my heroes. They were there before the Peace Corps began. When the concept of Peace Corps was just a nameless idea floating on the wind. Their hard work, spirit, and perseverance built Peace Corps into what it is today. A real force for good and understanding in the world.

There was a lot of reminiscing and plenty of great stories. Of course, most of those stories revolved around the one person who could not be there, Sargent Shriver. His presence was greatly missed.

After
My blurry picture of the participantsMy blurry picture of the participantsMy blurry picture of the participants

From left to right: Maryann Orlando, Jack Vaughn, Harris Wofford, and Bill Moyers.
the program was over we were invited upstairs to view executive order 10924, which established the Peace Corps. This original document bearing the signature of President Kennedy will be on display in the National Archives throughout the month of March, 2011.

Anyone interested in the early years of the Peace Corps would do well to read "Come as You Are The Peace Corps Story" by Coates Redmond. I would also encourage you to go to www.walkingontheleaves.com to see the trailer for a new documentary about the Peace Corps which will be released later this year.

Until Next Time,
Chris

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb