Recap


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
March 29th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The last few days have been varying degrees of exciting. By varying, I mean they go from bored-out-of-our-skulls to running-around-like-chickens-with-our-heads-cut-off. I’ll just fill in the main things.

Thursday was yet another day off. It rained; Sarah got a free massage at a spa; we spent most of the day watching movies. Sarah and I watched both Mighty Ducks movies and laughed about how much they shaped our generation- the clothes we wore (which were ridiculous!), that’s where we learned smack-talk, your-mom jokes, and of course, the brilliant Averman lines: “The Goalanator!” Adding -anator to anything. He also was well known for his play-by-plays of everything. I can’t count how many times I said, “The Quack-Attach is back, Jack!” And the ever-present quack, quack, quack, quack, quack, quack… Good times, good times.

Friday, it was really nice outside, and we had a show. It’s not one I want to go into a lot of details about, but let’s just say it was the forth venue in a row that was less-than-ideal. And it was a mixed show, incorporating some church songs (which I had never seen before) and part of our normal show. I’m getting good at running these live and blind. Unfortunately.

But, after dinner, Cowboy walked in to the venue and then a man came in behind him. He was a handsome older gentleman (as in, older than me) wearing a black baseball cap, glasses without rims, and all black clothes. I got excited, thinking maybe it was Dale. Alas, he came closer and I realized he was much to old to be Dale. It was, though, Dana’s dad, as she had quote a brood drive up to see our show, which was nice.

The show was a mix of songs we don’t normally do with the normal ones. It ended with Oh Happy Day. Victor and Prossy ROCKED the solos! It was amazing! I think their voices work better, especially Victor’s, when singing melody- he’s a powerhouse. And it was hott.

Where we were, in Ithaca, NY, is probably the greenest city I’ve ever been in. Not green as in lots of trees, but green as in their houses are decomposable or something. Recycling bins everywhere. Even at the Mexican restaurant, they showed where to throw things away. A bin for foil (recycling), one for paper boats and napkins (for compost or something) and some other random one too. Wow. Even our hotel rooms had recycling in them!

Yesterday, we hit the road bright and early, to drive 6 or so hours to Connecticut. Once again, Kyle delivered us safely to our destination. Then we jumped straight into load-in at UCONN. Kyle had the new Allen & Heath iLive console, which he was really excited about, but something went wrong with the touch screen, so he spent several hours trying to figure out how to fix it. (After a while and several phone calls across the world, he arose victoriously.) During this time, he allowed me the privilege making sure everything on stage was taken care of, including the projector and microphones. The only problem with me trimmimg the mics is that Kyle trims them to his nose, and I don’t have Kyle’s nose on a regular basis. It all went well; mostly we got it all done eventually. It was certainly a day when my “formerly known as a sound guy” skills came in handy. While I was doing lights and mics, Sarah took care of the carpentry.

We crashed once we finally made it home. Well, first there was some Dutch Blitzing going on.

This morning, we went to the theater and figured out all the things we forgot yesterday, which wasn’t much, and proceeded with sound check. It was nice to have an almost full rig to work with- booms were certainly missed. Our director came with his wife and baby daughter, so it was nice to see him again.

Jessica, the sound designer, also came up for the show and is staying with us tonight. It’s been great to catch up. We all went to church after the show and it was probably the best one we’ve been to this tour. We missed most of the worship set, though. Everything else was great.

I’m sure there have been lots of other things that have happened, but I’m quite tired now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb