Our Cross Country RV adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
December 20th 2005
Published: December 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, 12/20
We arrived at our winter destination of the Quartzsite, AZ desert, safe and sound, on 12/10. Not too much to do around here right now, and I’m not sure Jim is going to be able to handle all of this solitude. The RV show and gem show (which is part of the reason we came here) isn’t until the last week of Jan. into Feb.
We have met some of our ‘neighbors’, who have been very friendly and helpful.
The 3 ‘neighbors’ that we have met all know each other, and have all been coming here for years. They tell us that there are normally more people here by now, but everyone figures that the high fuel prices have keep people away. All of the merchants are complaining as well….(hopefully we can get a few good deals before we leave).
We are told that the ‘crowd’ of RVers are here between 1/15 and 2/15 (for the shows). We will see what happens!
We still bicycle everyday. We bicycle to town and visit the merchants (there are new ones opening everyday, that set up portable canopies in their allotted space, to sell their wares.
Once a week we go to the post office to pick up our mail. We did not have our mail forwarded. Jesse goes through the mail, at home, then just mails us the ‘important stuff’. Even without the usual ‘crowd’ here, it still takes a minimum of 45 min. in line to pick up the mail.
Oh, I forgot to mention, the ‘neighbors’ have invited us to have Christmas dinner with them. We will have it outside, of course. As I write this at 10:30 am, it is 61° outside, so by 1-2 pm (dinnertime) it should be 70° or more. Charlene (the neighbor that we have come to know more than the others) is cooking a ham, scalloped potatoes, pumpkin pie and providing the wine….(she & Frank are ‘full-timers’ which means that they sold their house a number of years ago and live full time in their RV). Obviously, with years of experience, she is used to cooking so much in her RV. We manage sandwiches and stovetop items well (pasta works)…but I can’t imagine cooking a ham dinner (never mind a pumpkin pie) in this tiny oven. The ‘other’ neighbors, including us, will bring side dishes (veggies, rolls & etc). Jim & I were concerned about what to do for Christmas….we did feel we needed to celebrate somehow…but didn’t know how…so it was wonderful to get the invitation to dinner!
We are taking the bus to Laughlin, Nevada tomorrow to do a little gambling. The cost is only $5 for a round trip plus a ‘fun book’. Maybe we will win ‘big bucks’!! ( ; yeh, right!
Well that’s about it for now…..I’m attaching a few pictures of our RV, the mountains around our RV and the beautiful sunset that we see EVERY night from our RV.
Thursday, 12/22
This morning, we had our ‘black & gray waters’ pumped out. Looks like we will need to do this every 2 weeks. We also went to pick up some more fresh water. We made two trips and brought back about 56 gallons. Our RV holds 100 gals. of fresh water, but this should get us through a little while. We don’t use it for drinking water, only showers & dishes etc. We have separate containers filled with our drinking water. Yesterday and today we absolutely beautiful…..exactly the reason we came to AZ for the winter….sunny and about 77° during the day and 40° at night.
We went to the Laundromat on Monday and tomorrow are ‘post office’ day! ( : It will take me about an hour waiting in line to pick up our mail, so we only do it once a week.
Oh, also, I forgot to mention, we bought and hooked up satellite tv last week (Directv) and we watch that about 2 hrs a night, using our generator.


We wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb