farmington river


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » Avon
May 11th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hiking to the Farmington River.....

Peeking through the forests edge was a trail that appeared to go in the direction toward the river. We decided to see where the trail went.....

We realized we were at the top of a big hill looking down on the Farmington River! Hiking down was quite a task. There were roots bursting through the dirt, and cracks made by water erosion. The hiking was uneven and sometimes steep. The terrain was tough, but the trail led us past wild berries, and perfect wild flowers. We couldn't have asked for better scenery.

We noticed some homes to forest creatures, but we couldn't figure out which ones, so we backed from the dark tunnel-like homes (just in case!), and continued on our adventure. A lot of deer, some coyote, and bear tracks closer to the rivers edge. We enjoyed tracking their direction, and we liked figuring out what the wildlife does in its natural habitat. The forest is like an outdoor classroom. It’s filled with so much knowledge that we can learn from.

The air was crisp, and the rustling of the leaves were harmonious with the moving branches. There were birds moving
berriesberriesberries

yummm!
through the tree tops, and of course squirrels were busy at work as well. The river was calm and shallow. My boys, who are 12 and 14, could walk across it to the other side if they wanted. But the water was cold!!! It doesn't matter if it's hot outside, the temperature will put a chill in your bones!!

We like to be prepared, so we always have snacks and drinks, and today we had lunch! There was a picnic table, so we ate the lunch we brought while enjoying another wonderful, peaceful day in CT. There was a rope swing hanging at the river's edge, and we talked about coming back ready for the water as well. The boys skipped rocks onto the river. Thankfully, I had my bug spray and sunscreen so we could play around for a while before heading back to our destination.

The hike was a great way to exercise! There are more comfortable ways to get to the river, but this was more adventurous. We love to seek out new and different ways to hike and get to the river.

We came home refreshed and energized. It would be one of many to come......



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

up to the skyup to the sky
up to the sky

this one of my favorites
what creature lives there?what creature lives there?
what creature lives there?

just in case....back up!
Farmington RiverFarmington River
Farmington River

Jacob McCormick of Avon


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb