The Ski Diaries 2006-Vail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
February 20th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Private ChairliftPrivate ChairliftPrivate Chairlift

At the base of our Hotel was a private chairlift to access Vail. There is a ski valet that takes your skis for storage and your boots to dry and heat them for tomorrows skiing. Ah, the tough life.
Vail was by far the largest resort with 6,000 sq. acres of ski-able terrain (versus 2,600 sq. acres in most others) with 6 huge bowls and some 26 lifts. You need a road map just to move around the hill. Day One brought us certainly the windiest conditions we have experienced on our trip. Trying to get to the back bowls, we were nearly blown off course by blinding winds of blasting snow. The liftees teased that they were going to charge extra for the natural derma-brasion treatments.

The hill was mostly populated with locals wanting to get their skiing in before Presidents’ Day weekend. On the chairlift one local shared that she and her husband purchased a condo as their winter home in the late 70’s for $78,000. Today the condo is worth $1.5 million. Village Vail was originally built in the 1960’s as a ski town in Bavarian style. Unfortunately, they have not maintained the Bavarian theme and today Vail is densely built in various architectural modes with at least 5 cranes in the Village area erecting yet more which is going to have to go upward due to the land shortage.

Day Two of skiing brought
Trout DinnerTrout DinnerTrout Dinner

Between the Hotel and the mountian is a trout stream that you could rent gear for and go down for an "after ski fish" ..of course.
10” of snow overnight, but at -33 degrees with wind, Joyce declined to ski and Boyd headed off by himself; which of course is always a mistake. On the lift at 9:10 am, first tracks, into the trees, buried a ski, pooped both bindings, flew 20 feet, landed head first with my head stuck in the snow. Halfway down the hill, in waist deep powder, at -33 degrees and can’t find a ski. After 40 minutes of an extremely tiring search with hypothermia becoming a concern, a couple of locals who after riding the chairlift twice and seeing me still in trouble, came over and lent a hand. After 15 minutes the ski was found and my two newest best friends had been made. Awesome day in the back bowls, at 1:30 you could still see untracked bowls still to be had.

With the approaching holiday weekend, everything was completely booked; our entire hotel was to be occupied by one financial group that rents it annually. We were glad to take our leave for the warm climates of home.

But first a few ramblings about Colorado:

Colorado has the best lamb, often served as lamb sirloin or
Free Range DiningFree Range DiningFree Range Dining

Well, if fish is not what you feel like for this evening how about foul. Wonderful to watch the wildlife from fish, birds, elk, and deer, Colorado is a wonderful wildlife area.
as a lamb baseball steak. Much superior to their beef.

The use of a shot glass or jigger does not exist here. It’s all free-handed and very generous. After only two cocktails, I can find it a challenging walk back to the room (Joyce, not Boyd).

Colorado is a smoke-free state. However, they let children into their bars without a second thought. It took us back that you could have an adult drinking a few bourbons at the bar seated next to two six year olds drinking chocolate milk.

A large number of the workers at ski resorts in Colorado are from South America particularly Argentina. We wondered if it has somewhat to do with having similar altitudes or if they have some kind of exchange program with the Colorado resorts.

Many ski areas down here have very old chairlifts and many of them without safety bars. We found this a little unnerving when the lifts were well above ground.

The air here is very dry as well as thin. Humidity is around the 50% mark and most hotels will gladly provide you with a humidifier. Symptoms often experienced because of the high altitudes are
10 Inches Overnight10 Inches Overnight10 Inches Overnight

Colorado has recieved more snow this year than in the past 25 years. Over 300 inches to date this year where their average for the entire year is 350 inches.
nausea, dizziness, headaches, allergic type reactions, flu and cold symptoms. However, very few people have problems with asthma because although the air is thin, it is very clean.

It is impossible to run here. There are massive heaps of snow everywhere, the sidewalks are covered with ice and with the altitude I’d probably loose a lung somewhere.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Real EstateReal Estate
Real Estate

The real estate here is traffic. Values have soared, but you can start to understand not only why but how much more they are going to go.
Growth in VailGrowth in Vail
Growth in Vail

There are two cranes constructing new highrises right on the hill. Lots of room to go. This area is so big the resorts expansions will be a fundemetal aspect of growth. Reminds me of West Edmonton Mall.
Started HomeStarted Home
Started Home

Living at 10,600 feet takes getting used to. Its time to go home. Its going to be a drive but looking forward to home. Joyce the expert navigator has her map out and we are ready to go. Check the next blog to see how this worked out!!!!!!!!!!!!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb