SPAS, TRAINS, HIKING AND ANCIENT SITES IN CO, NM, UT 2014 day 13


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Ouray
October 4th 2014
Published: January 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sawpit Mesa to Last Dollar Road into Ouray, Colorado


October 4, 2014


Today is the day for the birthday boy to celebrate his first year with friends at the Ouray Hot Springs in picturesque Ouray, CO. No matter the weather, the 88-106 degree natural temperatures in the hot springs pool can warm your bones if not your soul. And how lovely to soak outside with steam rising around you while you gaze at snow capped mountains! This was the perfect setting for a birthday celebration. The Ute Indians thought so too. They came here years before for the spiritual qualities attributed to the hot springs waters.

After the party we drove into the center of Ouray, also known as “Little Switzerland”, for lunch and then a requisite stop at Mouse’s Chocolates and Coffee, because, well, why not?

Ouray, sandwiched in a canyon in the San Juan Mountains was also a former mining town, but like Telluride, the miners eventually left and this resort town succeeded featuring world class climbing, backcountry and cross country skiing, art shows, live music wonderful restaurants and of course the hot springs.

Our day was turning into evening so we drove back to Telluride over the spectacular Last Dollar Road for more precious family time and hiking on Sawpit Mesa.

If you ever have a chance to drive in this part of Colorado, be adventurous and don't miss the spectacular back roads like Last Dollar Road.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb