A Day of Rest in Ouray


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Ouray
August 16th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

How many hours can you spend in a car? After five straight days of driving and four-wheel-drive sightseeing, it’s time for a day off.

Alan and I start the morning with a walk to the Silver Nugget Restaurant for an omelet breakfast. Afterwards, we explore Ouray on foot.

Historic buildings line the main street of this mining town. Shop windows beckon with displays of paintings, crafts or the latest in adventure sports equipment.

Side streets lead to lodging options for our next visit. Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa and Lodge sits atop a cave system where Chief Ouray once steeped in the hot spring waters. Today, patrons come to this health spa to relax and renew themselves in the vapor caves.

On the opposite side of town, you can watch steam rise from the rocks above Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs. A series of decks house redwood hot tubs holding the hot spring water, a perfect place to relax no matter the season.

Back at the Comfort Inn, the humingbird feeders are buzzing with business. We practice our photography skills on the tiny birds as they dart back and forth.

After one last dinner at the Coachlight Restaurant, it’s time to pack for tomorrow’s long ride home.

As we drive out of town, I ask, “Alan, wouldn’t it be great to see Ouray in the winter time?”

Stay tuned.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb