On the way to Ouray


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Ouray
August 13th 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our usual route to Ouray takes us through Durango and up the “million dollar highway” that winds around the mountains to Silverton and into the rugged countryside that defines the mining area near Ouray.

This time, we’re coming from Cortez and in the back way on Highway 145. The route takes us through communities like Dolores, the western town of Rico and toney Telluride before descending into a gorge then over the Dallas Divide into the ranching community of Ridgeway and ending at Ouray.

On the way, the road snakes beside the Dolores River where many ranches and fishing lodges perch beside fast running water. For sale signs are everywhere but we never find out why so many parcels of land are on the market. Want to buy a slice of mountain heaven? All you need is 3 or 4 million dollars for a humble cabin on a couple of acres.

We stop at Lizard Head Pass where 12,000 to 14,000 ft. peaks rise around us. Trails snake through meadows and around hillsides offering a tempting hike into Lizard Head Wilderness area. A quick walk across the gravel parking lot reminds us that we’re not adjusted to the altitude yet. Plus, white thunderheads are popping up behind the majestic peaks, proof that the afternoon monsoons, typical for this time of year, are already on their way.

Road construction is prevalent during the good weather of summer and early fall. After skipping the drive into Telluride proper, Alan and I sit on the highway, waiting for our turn to continue beyond the construction and on to Ouray.

Once we arrive and settle into another Comfort Inn, we stroll through town. Flowers tumble from planters, marking the entrance to picturesque, old buildings that populate the historical town.

For dinner, we choose the Coachlight Restaurant. Located on an un-paved side street, it’s the perfect place to relax after a long drive. Plants and flowers decorate the patio where we dine while the mountains that surround Ouray provide the view. We’ve picked a winner — the marinated chicken breast stuffed with a spinach/cheese mixture is awesome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



23rd August 2007

thanks for a taste of home
I'm in Asia now (Kyrgyzstan) - where things are a lot different from home. Although I'm having a fabulous time, I was really excited to read about home, while I am so far away. Enjoy your travels!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb