Coolest Place Ever- June 9th-10th


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Long ViewLong ViewLong View

This is the first dwelling that I visited on the farther mesa.
Arrived at Mesa Verde in the early morning on the 9th. Proceeded to the Far View Visitors Center to purchase tickets to go on the three ranger guided tours. I decided to do one of the tours on the first day and two on the second. I took a ton of pictures, and it will be easier to explain things there, but I will give some insights here. First, if you have never been to Mesa Verde, try to get there sometime. It is really incredible. Second, the rangers here really love their jobs. The rangers who guided the tours all had unique stories to tell, and you could tell that they had gone to extra efforts to learn about the park and the people who lived there. One of the rangers had many stories to tell about what she had learned from an ancestor of the people who lived at Mesa Verde. Third, be prepared for any kind of weather. It rained both days while I was there and was also very hot and sunny at times during the day. Fourth and Fifth, getting to and back from the sites is very heard work. At 7,000-10,000 feet in elevation, climbing a few hundred feet will take your breath away. After having walked and lived in the park for two days I had a great appreciation for how hard it was to live here. Thinking about how hard it was to walk up and down, and they didn't have any man-made steps or bottled water. Then they had to build their homes and plant crops and harvest water. It's not hard to see why they didn't live much into their forties. Sixth, I learned that they no longer call the people who live there Anasazi, they call them the ancestors of the Pueblos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Step HouseStep House
Step House

The picture shows a house structure that was at this location 500 years before the cliff houses.
Cliff PalaceCliff Palace
Cliff Palace

Another set of dwellings on a different mesa
Kiva at Cliff PalaceKiva at Cliff Palace
Kiva at Cliff Palace

Kivas were places that the ancestral puebloans performed religious ceremonies
Balcony HouseBalcony House
Balcony House

Another group of dwellings on the same mesa as the Cliff Palace
Ladder to get out of Balcony HouseLadder to get out of Balcony House
Ladder to get out of Balcony House

This was only a ten foot ladder. We had to climb up a 32 foot ladder to get into the dwellings
PetroglyphsPetroglyphs
Petroglyphs

I had to walk a 2.6 mile trail to get to this, but it was well woth it.


12th June 2009

hello from home
WoW on Mesa Verde Matt and so interesting about the Pueblo now. The drawings are amazing. I would love to see that but don't know if physically I am up to that. Good thing you played tennis and walked with dad so much. Your pix are great too. Thanks! Mom
13th June 2009

Utah
Matt, Told ya and I didn't even hike and see what you have seen . So glad you like Utah and so happy the people that work there are as interested and willing to share. Glad your travels are as exciting as I hoped they would be for you. Be safe and all my love . Love is... Bizz P.S. You are doing a great job with the blog and the pictures! I look forward to them. Last night this sight was having some problems but today I got right in. Love ya!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb