Into Thin Air in the Rockies


Advertisement
North America » United States » Colorado » Grand Junction
November 13th 2006
Published: November 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

October 21 - November 9, 2006 Billings, Mont. - near Grand Junction, Colo. 23,699 miles to date 1,315 miles this leg We were gasping for air Nov. 7, and not just because we’d spent two weeks at altitude. But because the preliminary election results showed a flip-flop of party power in both the U.S. House and Senate, and we could hardly believe so many voters had come to their senses. One of ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Jonah Plateau Methane FieldJonah Plateau Methane Field
Jonah Plateau Methane Field

On Shelly's tour of a methane gas field in west-central Wyoming, she noted that each access road is marked with rig numbers and company name for easy locating by suppliers and subcontractors.
Drilling Rig FootprintDrilling Rig Footprint
Drilling Rig Footprint

In roughly a 300 x 300' "camp," the drilling derrick shares space with the lubricating mud ponds (at left) and the workers' trailers (at right). Crews work a week's worth of 12-hour shifts before getting a week off.
Dan & Drilling PipesDan & Drilling Pipes
Dan & Drilling Pipes

Sections of 6"-diameter drilling pipes 33' long are lowered into the well as it is drilled. Believe it or not, most gas wells average 4 MILES deep.
Shelly in Hard HatShelly in Hard Hat
Shelly in Hard Hat

Shelly in her hard hat touring the methane gas fields of the Jonah Plateau in Wyoming. This is basically the piping of a gas transfer center.
Dan & "Xmas Tree" WellheadDan & "Xmas Tree" Wellhead
Dan & "Xmas Tree" Wellhead

Dan stands on the grate surrounding a completed and operating methane gas well. The structure is dubbed a "Christmas Tree," and thousands of them dot the Jonah Plain.
Heading into the RockiesHeading into the Rockies
Heading into the Rockies

We lucked out with a clear and warmish day for the big Crossing of the Rockies on Nov. 11.
Rocky Mountain SummitRocky Mountain Summit
Rocky Mountain Summit

Snow on the summits, but the roads were bare and dry. Ski season is starting early, we're told.
Coasting Down the RockiesCoasting Down the Rockies
Coasting Down the Rockies

On the way down from an elevation of 11,000 feet. Jeff had been worrying about this crossing for months, but we breezed through.
Colorado RiverColorado River
Colorado River

Our last night in Colorado was spent near Grand Junction, camped along the banks of the Colorado River -- which has its headwaters in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park.



14th November 2006

Shelly and Jeff, after your visit here a few months ago, I too have enjoyed reading your various escapades and adventures. I have similar thoughts as you, regarding the political situation in this country. I'm crossing my fingers things are going to get better! You must be getting close to home now. All the best during the remainder of your travels. P.S. David is happy at Cal Poly, SLO, as is Drew at NU, and Leah is merrily marching and riding. All the best.
16th November 2006

Y'all are making me homesick for the Colorado Rockies. Luke and I are taking Evelyn that way for the holidays at the end of December to meet all of her grandparents and her great-grandma, plus paying tribute to her great-grandpa's memory. I am sooo looking forward to having you meet Evelyn and to play some olde time tunes with you guys again. Hope you are bringing back some "new" ones for us to learn. :-)

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb