Goodbye Wyoming...Hello Colorado!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Golden
June 6th 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

June 6, 2010: Today was a travel day. We had to down the camper in pouring rain so that was a rough way to get going this morning. We took consolation in hot chocolate and coffee on the way out of the park. We left behind temps in the low 40's and arrived in Golden, CO to 97 degrees and bright sunshine. Part of the drive leaving the Tetons took us through high mountain peaks full of snow. The rain continued most of the way making a last look at the Teton Mountain Range impossible. The farther away we got from the Tetons, the clearer the weather got. Most of the remainder of the drive through Wyoming was scenic. You can still drive for very, very long distances without seeing a town, intersection and sometimes another car. We finally gave in to our hunger and pulled over on whatever highway we were on for a tailgate lunch. We wound up pulling over at a historical marker, marking Split Rock. It was a landmark for those pioneers traveling to a place called Oregon long, long ago. The Pony Express also used the rock as a natural marker for their travels. We also saw hundreds of the energy alternative wind turbines just before we crossed into Colorado. Just prior to Denver, we saw, in the distance, a massive storm crossing the Great Rocky Mountains. Thank goodness we did not have to drive through it. Somehow, we managed to stay dry the rest of the day.

We are currently staying at Golden Canyon State Park. We went up some pretty serious inclines to get there. The park wasn't marked very well, but once we found it, we were pleased. We have a very nice site and it seems to be quiet. On the way to the campground, we were wondering about what part of Denver David White lives in. It was funny, just about the time we were talking about it, we were marveling on all the beautiful homes on the mountain signs when we saw one that Karen commented on that was for sale. By the time we passed the mailbox, we saw the name "White" on it. What are the chances? If any of the Whites are reading this, let us know where David lives.

We are hoping for a nice quiet evening of sleep. Tomorrow, we will regroup and decide where to go from here. We may try to get some Whitewater Rafting in or maybe some mountain biking. We'll see. A nice hike might be nice, too. From Golden, Colorado...good night. - J.

P.S. I snapped a picture of a Jack-A-Lope today. I am sending it off some wildlife experts for verification. I will let you know what they say.

Advertisement



8th June 2010

What an adventure!
So glad you are having a good time. Looking fortward to seeing the pictures. Sounds like you will need a "vacation" to recover from the vacation. Have to do all you can whilr you are there. I did get your voice mail singing tyhe b-day tune. Thank you! Jack perked up when he heard his name. He has been a good boy. Love to all.....MiMi

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb