I'm still alive!


Advertisement
North America » United States » Colorado » Durango
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything. -Laurence Sterne 5/13/07 Start - 5:00 AM Eastern time, Louisville KY, 642 ft above sea level Finish - 10:00 PM Mountain time, Des Moines NM, 6452 ft above sea level Distance traveled ~ 1200 miles States - Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and New ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




16th May 2007

Welcome to the West!
Soarpheat (great name!), You will love the west. I hope you are not experiencing altitude sickness because you are going to be going much higher. If you would like some hints to great places to visit as you travel the Western parks, I am willing to suggest. For example: In Colorado, assuming you are heading for Rocky Mt. National Park, you will want to see the Mesa Verde National Park, travel the Million Dollar Hwy from Durango to Ouray (you'll find a saloon in Silverton); visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Montrose, go west to Grand Junction and the Colorado Nat. Monument or go east to Pike's Peak at Colorado Springs. By the way you missed some great things in New Mexico, or maybe you will catch them on your way home: Carlsbad Caverns is a must see, Alamagordo's White Sands NM--wow, dont' forget your sun glasses here; Bandelier NM near Santa Fe; El Moro NM west of Albuquerque. There is so much more to see in all the western states. Enjoy!
16th May 2007

me=jealous
one of these days when you're an amazing trek guide you're gonna take me to see all these things and more
16th May 2007

Roots
Chris, it sounds like you are almost in awe. You will be seeing more country that will get under your skin, and make you want to stay. Kentucky is great, but other places are better. Where ever you land never forget your roots. Your roots are what led you to where you are, and are going. Enjoy the trip and write more than you want. Take lots of pictures. When you settle you have the makings of a great book. OFS
16th May 2007

Gorgeous.
Dude. I have several reactions: A) That bug/windshield photo is an amazing shot. And yet it is horrible. B) I want to live inside the Aztec ruins. C) Quit looking so dang tanned. It makes me jealous-- and miss you. It all sounds overwhelming and gorgeous at the same time. It's hard to imagine you only left Sunday, but you seem to be doing a bit of everything. Hang tough with that stomach ache, avoid falling in Kivas, and call me anytime you like. You're extraordinary.
16th May 2007

Wow
So happy for you.
16th May 2007

Have a blast!
Chris: Lisa and I wish you all the best in your journey to the West! We're delighted that you're keeping this journal and will follow your adventures. And we're very happy that you'll be teaching others at NOLS. We're glad that you're following your heart; it will always take you where you need to go! All the best! Poo.
16th May 2007

Wish I Was There!
It's kinda funny...sounds a lot like the reverse of our trip when we moved from Alaska to Kentucky. Of course it's been 11 years since I've been out west and I thank you for posting the pictures! My memory is getting a bit fuzzy and I'm beginning to forget how breathtaking the western US is. So have fun, be careful, take more pictures, enjoy the sunrises, and don't forget to send me your address so I can send you mail!!!!!
18th May 2007

Awesome hat! Where did you get it?! ;) lol
18th May 2007

Aztecs Are Over-rated
I've built better stuff than what the Aztecs or the Anasazi could ever have dreamed about building! :)
18th May 2007

I don't know bud...
they did that out of mud, with very little water, and with only stone tools. and it stuck around for 900 years. i'm impressed anyway. :)
18th May 2007

":)
How are you having the internets? It looks amazingly beautiful. I am jelous!
20th May 2007

AMAZING!!!!
Hi Chris, Your taking on the look of a mountain man for your adventures. You seem to be taking advantage of every moment. Thats the way to be in life. Steven has a cousin in Green River Wyoming. Let us know when you get there and we'll put you in touch. He looks like a mountain man too. Thanks for sharing your trip, we shall enjoy through your eyes. BE CAREFUL (that is the Mom talking). Bye for now.
23rd May 2007

Amazing Journey!!!
Chris, Your Mom sent us your blog page, and it is amazing!! You probably don't know us, but your Mom has taken care of our daughter over the past many years at Kosair. Our precious daughter, Christena has been on her very own journey, which took her to the arch in St. Louis!! We spent much time looking at that arch while in St. Louis waiting for her double lung transplant and the journey after it. One of her amazing "trips" was the day she was able to RUN up the stairs to the arch!! Check out "Christena's Journey" at www.geocities.com/debgabehart. May your days be filled with all the amazing wonders God has given us to enjoy. Be safe and enjoy. I know your Mom is so very proud of you. Thank you for sharing your journey with so many others.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb