U.S.A. 2023 - DAYS 19, 20, 21 - GRAND JUNCTION, GUNNISON, DURANGO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Durango
June 10th 2023
Published: June 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Probably worth noting at this point, that since our 2018 USA trip and the world had a little conniption for 3 odd years, prices of everything have increased here. Food, fuel, accommodation, drinks - probably due in some part to an overall wage increase in the last couple years. Add the poor AUD exchange rate and it makes a difference. However, the American everyday people are still great, willing to chat to Aussie's on the road, especially when you're on a Harley. The meal sizes are still over the top, huge portions which we struggle to finish. And most of you know I love a bourbon, well last night I ordered JD on the rocks, it arrived in a standard short whiskey glass, bit of ice then filled to the top, not a nip pourer in sight!

Day 19 - Dillon was in low single figures when we left, so winter gloves, long sleeve shirt & jumper, then jacket & neck buff, then I put the heated hand grips on 3, just to make sure! The ride on CO9N to Steamboat Springs is an absolute cracker with long sweepers to lean into and twist the throttle. Has to be another of the best roads we've ridden. Steamboat Springs (90 mile) which is an upmarket ski town which has a very pretty main street and we had morning tea at Johnny B Goods diner, great hot cocoa! Then off to Craig onto Rifle for a break and what a great little place Rifle is. Very old historic old Main Street, where a kid conned us into buying candy cause his Mum's shop is closing and they need money, so for a buck we got a caramel candy, tough enough to pull the teeth out of a croc! From Rifle onto the I70 Interstate, a mad race track with cruise set on 80 mph (130 kph), but the cracker is that the Colorado River follows you the entire 60 mile journey. Cut through the canyons it really is an amazing ride. Into Grand Junction tonight and off to Applebee's for another date night dinner.

Day 20 - Well another cracker of a ride today, albeit somewhat chilly at the top of the mountain. Left GJ early and turned onto CO65N (Grand Mesa Scenic Byway) to Grand Mesa & Cedaredge, climbing to 11,300 feet and a noticeable temp drop from 19C in GJ to an estimated 3-5C at summit. As you see by the images we were surrounded by ice for much of the morning with a couple frozen lakes by the side of the highway. This has to (again) be one of the best scenic byways we've ridden, my list must be up to around a few dozen by now, but hey, so many roads not enough time! The wildlife count increased again today, please add - 1 large deer, 2 x marmots & a dozen squrrels/chipmonks darting across the road. The deer was standing on the side of the road as we came round a corner, and as this is a family friendly blog, I won't repeat my comments of surprise here!

Then part 2 of the 'cracker of a day', was a ride thru Black Canyon of the Gunnison on CO92E. Again more twisty's thru the forest and down the massive canyon to our right. Road was pretty ordinary for this but the scenery is majestic, for sure! In the Econo Lodge in Gunnison now and ready for a dinner at one of the saloons - 'Ol Miner Steakhouse or High Alpine Brewing - maybe a visit to both is in order.

Day 21 - So dinner at 'Ol Miner Steakhouse was a bit disappointing, service was slow, food was good. We are in Durango, Colorado tonight after a terrific ride across the Silver Thread Scenic Byway to Lake City to Creede and Durango. At Slumgullion Pass (11,600 feet) its been the coldest to date. Not as much snow but very cold, down to Creede which is an amazing little town at the base of a gorge, the main street runs right up to the base of the gorge. We had the Rio Grande River along side us for most of the day from Creede to South Fork. From here a quick run to Pagosa Springs where another conversation with other bikers, then into Durango for 2 nights. We rode Wolf Creek Pass (10,850 feet) was another high mountain pass. Dinner tonight at the The Diamond Belle Saloon in the Strater Hotel, followed by a quick nightcap at a bar where another chat with a guy whose Mum is from Perth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



16th June 2023
Rifle, Colorado

Test for Perry
Test for Perry

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb