Day 9: The Drive to Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
June 16th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post



I've spent most of the last three days driving around the edge of Colorado. Basically from Pueblo to Denver the hard way. Yesterdays drive was just amazing, as you could see yesterday, it left me speechless. The part of the drive between Silverton and Ouray was listed by USA Today as one of the 10 Bucket list drives everyone should take. In fact, if your not careful it could be the last drive on your list. It's a steep uphill drive with lots of tight curves and not a lot of guardrails. It's one of those Roads you see on TV or in cartoons where one side of the road is a mountain that goes straight up and the other side goes straight down and there's no guardrail. Then once you get to the top of the mountain the road does the same thing again, but downhill this time. And all of this with the stunning background of the Rocky Mountains everywhere you look.

Today's drive was a return to the Interstates, I haven't driven on the Interstates since Tuesday. Most of the drive was along the bottom of the canyon following the path of the Colorado River. This time the Mountains went straight up on both sides of the road. About 70 miles from Denver I took a side road up to the summit of Loveland Pass. Why? Because they put a sign there. And it was a very cool drive, very similar to the Silverton drive. But it went to a higher altitude and the temperature was a bit colder, about 40ยบ.



Once I hit Denver I knew where I was heading for dinner. Tocabe, Authentic American Indian Food. This is a DDD Restaurant, and one of the reasons I wanted to come to Denver. I had the 3 Bison Ribs with Berry BBQ Sauce and some Stew all served on a piece of fried bread and served in a dented up old pie tin. The Bison was great, and I was surprised the Berry BBQ was so good. The stew had just a hint of green chilis in it that give it a nice kick. Overall, A great meal.

More Photos

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb