Tips For Traveling With CBD - The Ultimate Guideline


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
August 14th 2020
Published: August 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post









Image by Jan Vašek from Pixabay.

There's no question that CBD is the buzzy wellness product of the moment. If you live in a state where it's currently legal, you might feel like CBD has gone from being sort of around to absolutely everywhere all at once.

Planning a trip, but not sure if you can take CBD oil with you? Keep reading to find out if you can fly with CBD.

CBD?




Cannabidiol (CBD) is a phytocannabinoid discovered in 1940. It is one of 113 identified cannabinoids in cannabis plants and accounts for up to 40%!o(MISSING)f the plant's extract. As of 2019, clinical research on CBD included studies of anxiety, cognition, movement disorders, and pain.

Cannabidiol (CBD) can be taken into the body in multiple ways, including by inhalation of cannabis smoke or vapor, as an aerosol spray into the cheek, and by mouth. It may be supplied as CBD oil containing only CBD as the active ingredient (excluding tetrahydrocannabinol or terpenes), CBD-dominant hemp extract oil, capsules, dried cannabis, or prescription liquid solution. CBD does not have the same psychoactivity as THC, and may change the effects of THC on the body if both are present.

While CBD is a component of marijuana (one of the hundreds), by itself it does not cause a “high.” According to a report from the World Health Organization, “In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential.

Is CBD Legal?




First, a little background. Industrial hemp was legal in the United States until Congress passed the Marihuana Tax Act in 1937. ("Some of our early presidents grew hemp") Nearly 80 years later, the 2014 Farm Bill took the position that states can regulate the production of hemp and, as a result, CBD. Then last year, President Trump signed a new Farm Bill that made it federally legal to grow hemp.

This means that consumers everywhere - if they're compliant with their state - can grow hemp and use hemp products, and among those will be CBD.

In other words, the latest bill removed hemp from the Drug Enforcement Administration, or DEA's, purview. But while it's legal under federal law, it's up to each state to set its own policy.

CBD Travel Recommendations




Cannabidiol, which is processed from the hemp plant, is legal to possess under the new federal law -- as long as they do not contain more than 0.3 percent THC. Most states, though, have yet to change their laws to match the new federal rules, leaving local police and prosecutors in a quandary over what is legal and what is not.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) gave a public announcement on Twitter (@AskTSA) saying that “products that contain hemp-derived CBD or are approved by the FDA are legal & can fly -- as long as it is produced within the regulations defined by the law under the Agriculture Improvement Act 2018.





Based on the TSA’s adjusted excerpt, it is confirmed that you can bring CBD on a plane as long as it’s derived from hemp and meets the highest standards.

According to The New York Times, CBD products (CBD hemp flower, CBD Oil, etc.) are widely available in Texas (prescription for only one purpose: to treat seizures caused by intractable epilepsy). And in Austin, the police say they believe CBD products containing less than 0.3 percent THC are legal. Yet in Tarrant County, home to Fort Worth, Sharen Wilson, the district attorney, has said she will prosecute all CBD cases whether or not any level of THC is present.

“While CBD is legal under federal law, it’s up to each state to set its own policy.” It is, thereby, recommended to check out the laws in the state/city you’re headed to - to be safe.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb