Starting the Adventure


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day One

I-25 from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs

We are off on another trip to see parts of the USA that we haven’t seen before. Left home this morning shortly before ten and arrived in Colorado Springs about three. The trip was fine the whole way with a little bit of traffic building up around Pueblo that stayed with us the rest of the way. We checked in at the Hilton Garden Inn, and Philip was able to catch up on his class’s posts before dinner. He has two weeks left in this class.

The areas we drove through today started with the desert north of Albuquerque, then a few forested mountains before reaching the plains of northeastern New Mexico and southeastern Colorado. The landscape is calming and quiet with a long way between roadside stops. When we did stop for gas, it was 48 cents more per gallon than I paid when filling up at home. Signs along Interstate 25 indicated that parts of it have been named both the Santa Fe Trail and the John F. Kennedy Highway. There were multiple signs along the route pointing out the way to several other named roads. I wonder if naming highways is encouraged in Colorado. I haven’t seen that much at home. We drove over Raton Pass which at 7,830 feet was the highest point today.

Tonight we ate at Bonefish Grill which is about ten minutes from the hotel. Even though we had not been to a Bonefish Grill before, Philip received a flyer by mail from them with a coupon for a free entrée. Seemed like a good time to give them a try. Dinner was delicious and service was excellent. We’ll definitely try the one in Albuquerque when we get home. My lobster stuffed shrimp is worth going back for, and Philip’s steak was cooked perfectly.

In the car today, we listened to The Bat, by Jo Nesbo. I think we are about half way through it. It is set in Sydney, Australia, but the protagonist is Scandinavian as are those in Nesbo’s other stories. It is pretty much a regular who-done-it which is not our usual choice, but the writing and the story are compelling enough that we will finish it. I have a couple other library books downloaded with several more on hold, and Philip has a few ready to listen to on his phone, too, as well as lots of music on the iPod. We have a lot to entertain us as we drive along.

Tomorrow we will stop for our first sightseeing excursion once we get to the panhandle of Nebraska. I am looking forward to it.

Quote for the Day from the audiobook which reminded me of the country’s current political climate: “People are afraid of what they don’t understand, and they hate what they are afraid of.”

Advertisement



14th August 2017

nice content
Hi, your page is cool. Regards Kirti blog: https://travelmogambo.wordpress.com/ Web: http://www.travelmogambo.com/

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb