Day 17 Casper to Colorado Springs


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 17 July 20
Casper to Colorado Springs
We continued on our journey to Fort Laramie, Wyoming. Having seen a lot of westerns growing up I expected to see a large walled fort. As we were walking up to the fort a German tourist was asking one of the guides dressed in a blue wool military uniform they wore back in the day where were the walls. The guide said that this fort was very peaceful and had no need for walls. Ft. Kearney was the site of many of the battles with the Plains Indians and soldiers rode from Fort Laramie a couple hundred miles to support the soldiers at Ft. Kearny when fighting broke out. Some of the buildings were just ruins but many had been fully restored and gave you a good since of what life was like in the military in the 1800’s.
It was interesting to be back in the US where I knew all the rivers and most of the Indian tribes and some of their histories. In Canada it was all new to me. Tribes, rivers, lakes, mountains that I didn’t know anything about.
We left Big Sky country and drove to Colorado Springs. I had found out from www.bookingbuddy.com that I could get a Doubletree for $46 on Priceline so we were set. Luckily the hotel was a block away from the Tinsletown where we saw The Dark Night. And it was as good as the critics reported.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb