Colorado Springs #2


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi- am actually writing this in San Francisco- it's been so long since we've had access to free internet!(sept 8th). Anyway - to continue on sat 23rd of Aug we did a 2 hour walk in GOG in the morning and escorted some seniors who didn't know where they wre going for some of the way- they were originally dutch and had come over about 50 years ago- you could still hear a slight accent and they could speak dutch! When we got back to the motel there was a thunderstom brewing so we waited until it passed over until we went in the pool - the motel owner told us it was dangerous to go in as lighting could hit the pool even though the storm was quite a few miles away in the mountains. We had a BBQ at the motel that night with Safeway's finest veggie burgers! Watched marathon!

Sunday 24th
Played tennis on the court opposite the motel- no charge, it was stormy again the afternoon so just relaxed in room and then we went to mexican for dinner just down road- got wet on way back in the rain- it was quite a spectacular storm when we were inside eating thank goodness!

Monday 25th
Caught bus to car rental place and then drove onto the 24w heading towards Utah. Great scenery on the journey- drove over mountain passes. Stayed in Montrose that evening- cheap motel and good restaurants in the town- went to a Nepalses one which we were quite surprised to find.

Tuesday 26th
Drove to Black Canyon of the Gunnison ( about 5 miles from Montrose)which is a newish national Park - did 4 mile walk- an absolutely breath-taking canyon! Drove round part of the rim.Saw a golden eagle - verified by a birder- it flew about 10 ft from us. Also saw a chipmunk, a green snake and small rodent - no not a mouse!
Drove back through Montrose and on to Moab, Utah. Very scenic drive- hardly any cars. Arrived about 6pm and got motel easily- very hot !

Wed 27th

Mike hired bike and rode famous slickrock- he found it tough but enjoyed it- it was too hot for me so I did a walk along the river in Moab. Later we went in pool at motel and a crazy couple from Minneapolis chatted to us about how funny they found Benny Hill and Keeping Up Appearances!!😉 Moab was so hot even in the evening, very touristy!

Thursday 28th

Left motel 8.30 am and drove to Arches National Park very near by,very hot! Did two short walks to look at arches - too hot to do more you had to carrry so mcuh water being at altitude as well. Fantastic scenery - just vast expanses of rocks and plains. Drove to second National Park - Canyonlands in the afternoon-saw impressive canyons as the name suggests...Drove on to find somewhere to stay, ended up in Torrey which was further than we had intended but the other places on the way consisted of about 2 buildings! Found a fab motel with large pool and hot tub and bakery/grocery store on site! only $53 Had swim and then just went up road to eat in one of the two restaurants in the village.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb