Denver Delights


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Brighton
June 11th 2010
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.9864, -104.818

Day 3

We decided to play Denver tourists and visit the Denver Mint. Tours are free but they require a reservation online and a print-out ticket for admission. Some limited number of spaces are available for walk-ins. Tour is just a half-hour and is quite interesting. No purses, no cameras. More secure than airport check-in. They were producing pennies, but had Harrison gold dollars and Yellowstone silver quarters available for purchase. Old building is gorgeous; new one is pretty hi-tech. Only government agency to actually make money – literally and figuratively. Because of collectors, coins sell for much more than face value.

We then toured the Denver Art Museum. There are two buildings in the Denver cultural center. On the 7th floor of the taller building is the western art. Remington, Russell and more. Very impressive and very enjoyable. On the second floor of the other building is the contemporary art. Also quite good. We had lunch at Palette's, the museum's upscale dining room. Very tasty.

We did a walking tour of some of the buildings downtown, including the state capitol and the civil courts building. This was the 2nd of three state capitol buildings on our trip (Topeka, Denver, Cheyenne).

The four
of us had dinner at home and retired early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb