Leaving Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 26th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Las Vegas FountainsLas Vegas FountainsLas Vegas Fountains

Accompanied by nice opera which I didn't know but recognised
The back packs are getting really heavy and bulky now - we have a tent, sleeping bags and softy sleeping mats too, which we've been lugging round in a hire car. So eventually carrying two full packs each, we got to the airport and headed for San Francsico. There are even slot machines in the airport lots of banks of them - even at at the departure gates. (And yes people were using them).

Arrived San Francisco, negotiated the public transport system from the aiport to the centre of town and then walked about a mile to the backpackers' hostel, with two full packs each, on a very warm day. San Francisco is on lots of hills and they're steep and it's no fun carting a pack.

The hostel is great, very helpful staff, free breakfast and coffee on tap all the time. They also have internet access and a laundry, which is really important when you're travelling with as few changes of clothes as we are.

Went for a walk to the touristy fisherman's wharf, which is a bit like Leith docks or the Albert docks in Liverpool. We took a tram car back.

Last night we went out to a blues bar, which had live music - Edna Love (That's the first real person I've ever met called "Edna"). The band were excellent - 2 sax players, trumpet, keyboard and a couple of guitars plus a tuba! Willy was sweet talked into buying their CD.

Today (Wednesday) we went to the Golden Gate Park, which is absolutely massive - lots of big trees - a Japanense garden, a full blown botanic garden and loads more. We didn't walk to the edge of it to the Golden Gate Bridge, cos it was just too far.

We came back (walking) through Haight Ashbury. It's a bit run down and we couldn't rememebr exactly which number the Grateful Dead stayed at, so just photoigraphed the Haight - Ashbury sign.

Cara, we posted your birthday card from Haight Ashury Post Office.

Tomorrow we're on an organsised tour of SF and the John Muir Memorial Forest Park - and then another organised trip to Yosemite.

Still to post photographs, (We have takern over 200) but have now purchased a gizmo that will allegedly allow us to connect camera to a pc.







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SF Japanese Tea Garden 1SF Japanese Tea Garden 1
SF Japanese Tea Garden 1

Golden Gate Park


Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.2261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb