San Diego - much to see and TOO much rain!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
January 30th 2017
Published: January 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

San Diego, USA 23rd January

This was our first US port, guess what Immigration loomed large, no trip booked so opted to wait until mid morning to be seen. That turned into lunchtime.

Now read on?

OK what can we say about San Diego Beautiful San Diego has so much to offer, a great climate, great beaches and an abundance of sights to be seen. The city (USA 6th largest) has a resort feeling with skyscrapers and a revamped downtown. Well the blurb says the climate is warm, with average temperatures of 22 degrees C. Unfortunately, what did we get, from the moment we berthed it was apparent the weather was not going to be on our side. We had been sailing through some bad weather for a couple of days, hugging the coastline to keep away from the worst of the storm. It was cold, wet and very stormy when we berthed, the area had had a big storm and whilst the worst had passed, some flooding still remained.

What to do? The Embarcardero, where we docked would have made some interesting exploring. A curving Boardwalk takes you to the popular Seaport village with shops, restaurants and the navy pier. The USS Midway museum is here, the longest serving retired aircraft carrier with a 4 acre flight deck you could see the aircraft from the ship. Well in reality, as we left to walk the boardwalk, the heavens opened, the wind blew, so onto plan B, the shuttle to the Horton Plaza. Guess what, the area was deserted from locals, the square where they normally have performing arts was vacant, only litter packers and cleaners. So unfortunately, back to the ship (after Macy's) and another try along the boardwalk. No such luck. RAIN AND WIND.

So much to see but never achieved!!!! Well California is also known as the 'Golden State', we didn't even see any gold at the end of the rainbows!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb