In Search of Fish Tacos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
February 27th 2010
Published: February 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Baby Elephant 21 secs
2: Gorilla 35 secs


When we were traveling with Linda she said to us one day, “You guys think about food a lot!” Well yes, doesn’t everyone? We think a lot about food because we have to be careful about Steve’s diet, as well as watch our spending, but mostly because we just like to eat! We are also interested in food cooperatives, since Steve has been so involved in ours back home. On the way out of San Diego we stopped at a bustling Co-op and stocked up. Unfortunately, two nights later a raccoon got into our cooler at the campground and wiped us out (every last egg!).

The first time we visited Baja we were introduced to fish tacos, in fact, Ian brought home a bumper sticker “I Love Fish Tacos!” San Felipe, as most towns in Baja, depends heavily on fishing. On this trip we have been seeking out the best of the fish tacos out there! They are typically a lightly fried strip of fish served in a soft corn tortilla, 2 or 3 to a plate. On the side you get a small salad (lettuce, tomatoes and avocado), Spanish rice, refried beans, and fresh chopped salsa (pico de gallo). Yum!

While staying 3 nights in San Diego we ate mostly in restaurants because the hostel (an old YMCA) had a lousy communal kitchen. Their rates were good for staying downtown, but the room was small and we shared a bathroom down the hall. From our corner room we could see the harbor, however the street noises were hard to take (sirens, cruise ship horns, & trains)!

One afternoon recently we were sitting in a micro brewery (Steve is collecting coasters) in Carpentaria, California. We were enjoying shooting the breeze with one of the regulars (a Kiwi). When it was time to leave we told him that we had to go fix dinner, and he asked what we were fixing. When I told him fried polenta, Italian tomato sauce, and rosemary potatoes, he and the bar tender simultaneously asked, “What time are you serving?”

Another funny moment happened when we were at the wonderful Balboa Park in San Diego. As I walked past a lady who was painting faces she asked if I wanted mine done. At lunchtime as I stood at the Thai food tent I got a good laugh from the venders who said, “Look at the hungry tiger ordering vegetarian food!”

Please note the videos from San Diego’s Wild Animal Park. The baby elephant is 5 days old, and the gorillas were having kale for lunch!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th February 2010

what fun!
Looks like you all are having a spectacular time - having lots of memorable moments! I'm wondering if the Wild Animal Park is different from the San Diego Zoo.
3rd March 2010

Straying cat girl do
Hi Beloveds. So glad to have peeks into your adventures. I particularly thrilled that you get to commune with the real people and that Steve has turned into a worm. Love Diane
9th March 2010

Baby elephant
How adorable! The Butterfly ladies? Who? What?

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb