Kumquats & quads


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
February 20th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Blog 2.17.2010


We heard that Saluda really got creamed by the last ice storm, ugh. Steve’s brother, who has been checking on our house (thanks a bunch), says that an ice-covered branch poked a hole in our sunspace roof. Oh well, it has happened before, all the more reason to get that tree work done before next winter. What a season you folks are having. I’m feeling very fortunate not to be constantly feeding the wood stoves!

No map of our travels with this blog entry because we have been a little lost… After leaving Linda’s we took a toll-road in northern Baja and crossed into the U.S. at Tecate’. The line of cars at the border gave us about a 50-minute wait. Once we crossed over we found a sweet little San Diego County park to camp in. When we stopped in the general store for supplies the clerk called out, “Welcome to Mayberry!” The town’s name was Perrero, and the park was nestled in a valley of Live Oaks that produced the strangest cylindrical acorns I’ve ever seen.

The next day we headed north through more unbelievable scenic terrain. People from San Diego had come for a Sunday drive through the Laguna Mountains to play in the freak snow! Our destination was Anza-Borrega Desert State Park, where we hoped to go backpacking. Another little store provided us with a few lightweight foodstuffs. As we were checking out the clerk touted his backyard kumquats, a two-pound bag for $2.99! Of course we bought them! I had forgotten that Florida is not the only U.S. citrus producer. Groves and groves of citrus and dates (from towering palms) are here in southern California!

Anza Borrega’s campground was so full we ended up camping out in the desert, in our self-contained little Gypsy Outhouse! The next day we missed a turn to our backpacking destination (never went) because we were oogling at the four-wheelers (quads) and dirt bikes rallied in mass and buzzing all over the dunes. A kazillion of them were camped out for the long Presidents Day weekend (the state actually provides a designated area for these toys). Today we are spending a second night at Agua Caliente State Park soaking in the hot springs, ahhhh!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



21st February 2010

San Diego area
I know where you are, can picture it pretty well in my head, having lived out there. You sound wonderful and I can't tell you how much I am enjoying the travel logs--keep 'em coming!!!! Hugs to both, G
21st February 2010

K's, Q's and hot springs...
I loved this entry with your stories and photos. The "quail for breakfast" cracked me up. I am planning to camp for four days at Merlefest this year (and volunteer at the Lost and Found). Connie is coming down for it too, but she's not studying the volunteering part. However, I will be interested in hearing lots of tips about camping...it has been years for me. Weather is warming up today...maybe 60's but rain tomorrow. This kind of weather gets us antsy for seeds and plants but we are aware of all the false starts we have to put up with until it is time. So, keep us entertained with your Gypsy adventures. We love you, Deb
22nd February 2010

Some years back, a friend brought us a kilo of kumquats. All I could think of to do with them was kumquat upside down cake or kumquat vodka. The latter was a big hit.
25th February 2010

lucky you!
It's so much fun to follow your travels. One thing I'm curious about- are you happy with your Gypsy Outhouse? Can you write an ode to your abode? miss you margaret ps- it's snowing again!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb