Ukiah..........where in the heck is that !!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
August 31st 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: San Fran to Ukiah

After a great nights sleep even though we only had 1 pillow each(shows how tired we were) we woke fit and fresh ready for a great Hojo breakfast.Well it wasnt too bad and we bulked up ready for the first day on the road.Trip to the car rental building was easy with the shuttle back to the airport and then a driverless train to the building where all the car companies were.
Here we met Joyce who had a badge that said "çustömers make me smile".She was obviously on commission cos even though our prepaid had everything she still tried to upsell.She said the car we had rented would be too small for the freewys and didnt really have an answer when Gretchen said but we are taking backroads.She was stumped.She couldnt even sell us a GPS system as we had Gretchen on the maps !!,.God we are having enough trouble with all the other electronic equipment on this trip.Poor Joyce,never mind.
The car is a Dodge Caliber and very good for our needs.Has everything we need and enough guts for the hills we were to encounter.
Murray the Merino seemed happy sitting up front as we haeded out on the roadtrip.
On the road and 101 over the Golden Gate after negotiating our way thru the city.The GG is something else and its just one of those thins like being at the Taj Mahal and pinching yourself as the GG is such an icon as everyone knows what it is,where it is and what it looks ike.
Up the Napa valley and a stop at a winery up in the hills with great views over the valley of vines.USD 15 to tast was a bit over the top and I was driving so we purchased a very nice(have tried it tonight) Rutherford Hill Rose.
The drive was very much free of traffic after Napa Valley and walked the main street of Calistoga to strech the legs.Typical USA town with historic buildings that been beautifully restored.Why can't we do this in NZ??
Then it was back to 101 and the freewaywith the cruise control on and we were away.Not sure I like CC as it is a bit scary heading up a steep hill without having to drive the car.
We had had enough at 4pm and Gretchen negotiated with Raj at Quality Inn,Ukiah to get a deal that shoudnt have applied cos its Labour weekend and the deals in the Roomsaver book arent supposed to apply.
A trip to Wal Mart(yes even the big boys are in Ukiah) and we had most of our supplies to keep us going.Beer at 50c plus tax a can will suit me for the next dozen while Gretchen got her botle of tonic for her gin.Dinner was US 2.68 for me and US 2.58 for Gretchen out of the freezer so we are getting back on the right side of the ledger.
A walk of the local streets got us ready for a beer and chippies before dinner and now its LittleDebbies Marshmallow Pie for sweets with coffee.Love those Little Debbies !!!!
Weather today was splendid and very warm as we travelled up the Napa and even after dark its still pleasantly warm.Hopefully the time is the sun today will be building the tan.
So figure out where Ukiah is and you will win the prize !!!

Advertisement



31st August 2008

What do I win???
"Ukiah, California, is a superb place to work, locate a business and to establish a comfortable lifestyle. Protected by the encircling coastal ranges, the City of Ukiah is nestled in the Yokayo valley in southern Mendocino County. Within the city limits are approximately 15,500 residents." What do I win?? :-D And what on earth did you get for dinner for $2.58??
1st September 2008

You are the winner.........only because no one else entered
Unfortunately we have run out of prizes....but at least you know you WON !!!! Well done !!!!!!! Prices have gone up here over the last 4 years but then we guess everything has gone up in price.$2.58 was a hearty serving of Boston Steak and veges !! Mmmnnnn........... from the mile long freezer at the supermarket.Ma had Turkey breast with mashed potato which she can recommend !!More about tonights dinner in todays blog...can't wait can you LOL LOL LOL LOL

Tot: 0.662s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 84; dbt: 0.2242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb