Taos to Santa Fe, New Mexico


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was a cold (41 degrees), cloudy and windy morning with mist over the Sangre de Cristo Mtn. I wanted to go to Old Town Taos to see the architecture. Frank stayed with CT in the parking lot and I walked around town. It was about 9:00 am and the traffic was light and I had a great time photographing. I love the southwest colors and textures. A few flowering trees were in bloom and here and there were spring flowers. It was COLD! I wore my heavy coat, hat and gloves.
After sending the blog from the Taos Visitor’s Center, we headed to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, about 8 miles out of town. The wind gusts were so strong we had to hold on to the rail to keep from falling over when we walked over the bridge! Gusts were probably around 35mph.
Heading out of town toward Santa Fe we stopped at an historic church, the San Francisco de Asis Mission. The church was in the middle of the town square and the adobe homes surrounding it certainly looked like they’d been there awhile. We traveled the scenic High Road to SF, which went through the Taos mtns., along mtn ridges (nice views) and through small villages. We’ve been close to ski areas, but haven’t driven through one. Their season is over now and summer season hasn’t started yet so they’re pretty quiet (Taos was dead). We reached SF by 3:00 pm and I had time to stock up on groceries at Wal-Mart.
We toured downtown Santa Fe after 6:00 pm. The traffic was light and we found a parking place. I thought the town was interesting. All the architecture was adobe which is very appealing. I like the southwest flavor. Frank wasn’t impressed! Tomorrow we continue south.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

LinesLines
Lines

Taos, NM
Looking for a vacation home?Looking for a vacation home?
Looking for a vacation home?

House around the San Francisco do Asis Mission, Taos.
San Francisco de Asis MissionSan Francisco de Asis Mission
San Francisco de Asis Mission

The church that Georgia O'Keefe made famous
Rio Grande GorgeRio Grande Gorge
Rio Grande Gorge

Gorge is 650 Ft. deep, goes through volcanic rock.
Old Town Santa FeOld Town Santa Fe
Old Town Santa Fe

On the Santa Fe Trail. Notice the cowboy!
Skyline in Santa FeSkyline in Santa Fe
Skyline in Santa Fe

There are pretty courtyards with flowers, trees and fountains surrounded by restaurants and stores.
Shadows on the WallShadows on the Wall
Shadows on the Wall

A Santa Fe Art Gallery


Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb