Las Vegas NM to Raton NM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
April 29th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Folded RockFolded RockFolded Rock

Viewed from the Galinas Canyon Rd.
We changed our routine today and took a break from long distance driving. We explored the historic town of Las Vegas. The town was a main stop on the Santa Fe trail and was a crossroads for southwest commerce. We took our time in the morning and walked around the town plaza and visited the local museum. Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders from the area. He was looking for the adventuresome cowboy type.
Then based on a recommendation by a local clerk we bought propane from earlier in the day, we drove CT through the Gallinas Canyon. We took our time on the switchbacks and Frank took his time checking out the rocks on the side of the road. There was no traffic so it wasn’t a problem. No cactuses at this elevation!
We decided to travel north and see the Capulin Volcanic Nat’l Monument. On the way we stopped at Ft. Union, a major army post on the Santa Fe Trail. (The SF Trail was important in this area. It ran from St. Louis to Santa Fe). The fort was in the middle of nowhere (as was and is everything out here). All that’s left is the ruins, but
Cave next to the roadCave next to the roadCave next to the road

One of the geological sites on the Galinas Canyon Rd.
you get a good feel for the size of the compound. The wind was blowing, but the sun wasn’t too strong. Bird watching was good and Frank was able to identify several western birds, which pleased him.
After several hours we resumed our travels north. Frank had purchased a geology driving tour book on the area at Ft. Union so I was designated reader. We were on the interstate, but we were able to see anticlines, mesas, volcanoes, dikes and the high plains! It did make the time pass quickly.
We stopped for the night at Sugarite State Pk. It was actually an old coal mining camp in the early 1900’s. It’s a nice campground with electricity and woods. We were told there are black bear, bobcats, deer and elk here. The park ranger said the area gets the most snow in March and April and they were expecting participation tomorrow night. We won’t know because we’re moving on in the morning.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ft UnionFt Union
Ft Union

A large army base established on the Santa Fe Trail and for Indian defense. Abandoned in the late 1800's the ruins are now a nat'l monument.
Santa Fe TrailSanta Fe Trail
Santa Fe Trail

Fort Union was a main outpost on the Santa Fe Trail.
Ft UnionFt Union
Ft Union

It was a large compound with close to 2500 men at it's peak.
Ft UnionFt Union
Ft Union

Enlisted men's quarters. Families were allowed.


5th May 2008

ft. union
I love the pictures of Fort Union. I'd love to come across that on one of MY road trips. My sister just left New Mexico on a road trip out this direction.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb