Yosemite & Death Valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
August 22nd 2005
Published: August 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Yosemite #1 (El Capitan)Yosemite #1 (El Capitan)Yosemite #1 (El Capitan)

The largest granite monolith in the world.
After the fogged-in-ness of the PCH, we were keen to move inland. Drove into Yosemite and was blown away by how beautiful it is there. Our room literally backed on to the Merced River so we had the noise of white rapids filling our room when the back door was open. On our first night, we left the door open to enjoy the sound of the river and a racoon helped himself into the room and worked his way through our garbage!

The next day we took a drive through Yosemite Valley, and up to Glacier Point. This is a spot where you're about a mile above the valley floor and can see absolutely everything from there. We then drove to Mariposa Grove and saw the giant sequoias there.

The next day we drove through the middle of Yosemite along the Tioga Rd. Some of this road is almost 10,000ft above sea level! I have a flu which Dad passed on, so my ears really punished me later when we decended.

We then drove to Lake Tahoe. It was OK, but the eastern side has been entirely spoilt by high rise casinos and lots of people. We didn't
Yosemite #2 (Wawona Tunnel)Yosemite #2 (Wawona Tunnel)Yosemite #2 (Wawona Tunnel)

I used to have this image as my Windows wallpaper at work. Now I have my own copy.
end up staying there but instead drove to Reno. We stayed at one of the casinos there. The next morning we learnt there had been a shooting at the back side of the casino and the area was cordoned off, so when we picked up our car, we had to take a detour to leave.

That day we drove to Death Valley. It was well above 40 degs Celcius when we arrived. Depsite being desert, it is actually quite beautiful. Today we took a walk out on Badwater Basin which is the lowest and hotest point in the US. To think that in a few weeks, we'll be going to the coldest place and flying around the highest point gives an idea of the extremes we'll get to see.

After leaving Death Valley we pretty much drove straight back to LA. There's nothing much in between except for Interstate 15. Had my first go at driving on a US interstate. Interesting experience driving next to a truck with two blown out tires at 75mph.

Anyway, that's it for now. We have our flight to Canada tomorrow. Spend 2 days with our friend Nellie at Vancouver Island, and
Yosemite #3 (Glacier Point)Yosemite #3 (Glacier Point)Yosemite #3 (Glacier Point)

The view above Yosemite Valley. That's the Clark and Vernal falls shown.
then on the boat northward. Arrive in Alaska in one week's time.

Until next time!

Matt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Yosemite #4 (Mariposa Grove)Yosemite #4 (Mariposa Grove)
Yosemite #4 (Mariposa Grove)

Two giant sequoias that have grown together as one at Mariposa Grove.
Yosemite #5 (Tenaya Lake)Yosemite #5 (Tenaya Lake)
Yosemite #5 (Tenaya Lake)

As you drive past this, you are cruising at altitudes higher than Kozciusko.
Death Valley #1 (Entrance to Park)Death Valley #1 (Entrance to Park)
Death Valley #1 (Entrance to Park)

Matt @ Death Valley National Park
Death Valley #2Death Valley #2
Death Valley #2

It's hot here.
Death Valley #3 (Badwater Basin)Death Valley #3 (Badwater Basin)
Death Valley #3 (Badwater Basin)

The lowest and hottest point in the USA.


23rd August 2005

granite in general
If you are bringing back pressies could I please put my order in for a granite monolith? I'm sure it would fit in my backyard... it could become a talking point... i could become famous!
23rd August 2005

Not jealous!!!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb