Out of LA (the Pacfic Coast)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
August 22nd 2005
Published: August 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Sebring (aka Garbage)Sebring (aka Garbage)Sebring (aka Garbage)

'Bring just doesn't have the same ring as 'Stang.
Have returned to LA and managed to get some internet access. The only place that had decent access over the last week charged 20c/min, so didn't have enough time available to update this. What's more is I have figured out how to upload photos from my camera!

We started off getting to Budget Rentacar. Got there and guess what...NO MUSTANG!!! NOT HAPPY, JAN! Instead, we got a Chrysler Sebring. The only thing it has in common with a Mustang is that it is a convertible. The similarities end there. It is a gutless, front wheel drive hunk of yank trash that manages to bring a whole new meaning to "torque steering". There has been assurances made that there will indeed be Mustang action while we're here.

As it turns out, it didn't make much difference as the main reason for the 'Stang was to cruise the Pacific Coast Highway in style. From San Simeon to Santa Cruz, the entire thing was shrouded in fog. So didn't get many piccies there. On the way there, though, we stopped in Malibu & Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara is a nice town indeed which is where we spent our first night on the
Santa Barbara Mission #1Santa Barbara Mission #1Santa Barbara Mission #1

Built in 1788, a couple of earthquakes in between, and still the nicest of all the Californian missions.
road. First thing in the morning we went to the Santa Barbara mission. From there we went to Solvang which is kind of like little Denmark, complete with windmills.

We drove on to San Luis Obispo and saw Bubblegum Alley. This is an alley between two shops that is entirely covered on both walls with bubblegum art from travellers who have passed by.

We then stayed at Morro Bay which has a big morro rock (ie volcano plug), and the next day saw Hearst Castle, which is a big estate that an early 20th century tycoon built for himself. It was at this point that I had my first drive on the wrong side of the road when we hit the windey PCH. Allegedly it is almost as good as the Great Ocean Road, but I couldn't tell. Managed to get a photo of Bixby Bridge though which crosses Big Sur River. No problems driving, but the speed limit is the absolute minimum everyone travels.

We stopped at Santa Cruz, and I went through the Santa Cruz boardwalk which was quite nice...kind of like a permanent Canberra Show without the animals on a boardwalk next to the
Santa Barbara Mission #2Santa Barbara Mission #2Santa Barbara Mission #2

Inside the Mission.
beach.

At this point, we turn in land to Yosemite, at which point I'll finish this blog for the sake of readability. Will add more.

BTW, thanks to all who have sent emails and messages, most appreciated.

Bless you all,

Matt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

SolvangSolvang
Solvang

Little Denmark, even with windmills.
Bubblegum AlleyBubblegum Alley
Bubblegum Alley

Bubblegum Alley...I could see Steve Kozel hanging out here.
Hearst Castle #1Hearst Castle #1
Hearst Castle #1

The Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle #2Hearst Castle #2
Hearst Castle #2

Casa Grande, the main residence at Hearst Castle.
Hearst Castle #3Hearst Castle #3
Hearst Castle #3

The other pool, an indoor Roman style pool.
Bixby Bridge (Big Sur River)Bixby Bridge (Big Sur River)
Bixby Bridge (Big Sur River)

You can see how foggy it was.


23rd August 2005

stunning pics
Did you take all these pics? really stunning... the scenery remains much the same here... I could send you a pic of the washing on my line if you'd like? :)

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb