Crusing California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 22nd 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I took a shower in the campground. You had to pay and the water was well somewhat cold! Not fun considering the temperature had dropped to low single digits.
We decided to try bike on a logging road in the redwoods after breakfast. It was only a 7km ride but basically we had to climb to the ridge before descending on the other side which took some effort. The downhill part was flowing and steep and bumpy. I kissed a tree but managed to get out of my clips and land on my feet. Naomi had a bit of a hard time (literally), her bike did not have suspension or enough gears to climb the hills comfortably so she was rattled around a bit coming down.
Back on the road we headed out of the forest after we drove the corolla through a redwood tree. Ok a bit more description is probably needed here. The trunk has been hollowed out so you can drive your car through it! The only place you can do this is in three locations outside of the state park and they charge about $3-4 each.
So on to San Francisco via a portion of the California
Before the rideBefore the rideBefore the ride

We prepare to cycle in the redwoods forest. A thoroughly demanding and enjoyable ride!
coast where the weather was weird. We drove into low cloud so could not see much of the coast but looking inland more we could see blue sky! But again it was a true costal drive and simply would have been breathtaking if we could have seen around us. So back inland onto the crazy freeway we crossed the golden gate bridge in typical fog weather and checked into the fisherman wharf Hi hostel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cathedral TreesCathedral Trees
Cathedral Trees

Sometimes a big tree kind of dies and so a number of trees sprout up and grow in very close formation from the base. You then get what is called a Cathedral.
Approaching the drive thru treeApproaching the drive thru tree
Approaching the drive thru tree

Oh oh, this looks tight. Can I get the car through this?
Drive thru treeDrive thru tree
Drive thru tree

Yes the corolla fits!!!! Yippeee
Hollow treeHollow tree
Hollow tree

Looking up a hollow redwood. Where are the bats?


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb