Running in the Redwoods


Advertisement
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Looking upLooking upLooking up

So this picture is me standing at the base of a redwood and looking up. These guys can grow up to 350m in height.
Again woke to a clear day, however the air was very cold and there had been a thick dew. Went mountain biking again. Rode another costal loop. It started with a wopping good downhill and then flattened out running parallel to the beach, through bog, mud and rivers. After a scenic ride along the coast line it ducked up a gravel road and then up again onto a green trail well covered with leaves. Overall I would give the ride a 7.5/10. 25 km’s in total.
We headed down to the Redwoods, stopping for lunch by a pounding surf beach. You don’t swim in the beaches that face directly out to the Pacific ocean. The rips will kill you if hypothermia doesn’t first.
The Redwood forest was an excellent drive. We decided to ignore the high fees of California Parks and camp amongst the redwoods. There were lots of trees to see, some huge, some hollow, some fallen over. We did a loop hike through the redwoods and then decided to call it a day. Tomorrow will be a decent drive to San Fran.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

California West CoastCalifornia West Coast
California West Coast

Panoramic view of west coast beach
Old MansionOld Mansion
Old Mansion

In a small city called Eureka.
Immortal Tree Immortal Tree
Immortal Tree

Some trees just won't die!
Crusing in the RedwoodsCrusing in the Redwoods
Crusing in the Redwoods

There was a whole lot of driving in this, with trees all around you. Amazing.
Creepy hollowCreepy hollow
Creepy hollow

Hollow redwood tree. The wood is actually fairly soft so they tend to rot out in the middle. You could live inside this tree!
Inside a RedwoodInside a Redwood
Inside a Redwood

Standing inside a hollow redwood. Peace!!!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb