Day 14: on the road


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 14

We get up early as we have a long drive before we hit Yosemite and lots we want to do once we are there.

The drive feels longer than it is because of how slow you drive given the conditions but the views definitely make it worthwhile. We stop just outside the park in a layby by the lake and take a few pictures and just sit and enjoy the beauty.

Hotel number 9 is in Curry Village within Yosemite National Park and a place we have stayed before. The accommodation is as close to camping as I want to get with bears often spotted nearby! They are raised canvas tents with locked green cabinets outside to store all food and smelly items.

We had planned to do the tour of the Village floor like on our last visit but when we arrive we realise it is already booked up which is extremely disappointing. Instead we use shuttle buses to get around, similar to the Grand Canyon. We grab some drinks at the village store before we start as we know there is a lot to see and do.

Personal favourite places within the park are places like Yosemite Falls and El Capitan. Unfortunately the waterfalls we had experienced a couple of summers before are no longer running. At El Capitan there are people with telescopes to enable you to watch the climbers. Watching, it doesn't feel like you need a telescope to help you see clearer because it feels as though you have a clear view of the rock surface and can follow it to the top. We were unable to pick out the climbers ourselves which made us realise just how scaling El Capitan really is. Since returning we followed the recent climbers who made worldwide news and were completely in awe of their success. Even using the equipment provided it was extremely hard to see the climbers as they were mere dots on such a massive rock. We were told by someone who climbed El Capitan last summer that it takes about 3-5 days to complete and she talked us through all the equipment they need to bring with them. Amazing!

See a lot of deer and squirrels running around the park- they are so timid. Yosemite is definitely one of my favourite places ever. You could never tire of these views.

There was a fire working its way around the outer park at the time of our visit and therefore a few campsites and trails had to close for safety reasons.

We get to our 'room' around 5pm just before it gets dark. We head to pizza patio, a short walk away, for some dinner. Across from the pizza patio are rocking chairs to sit and watch the sunset over the surrounding mountains. Definitely need hoodies at night as it does get cold! Wifi is also non existent in the park. Where the rocking chairs are, beside food and check in there is a little wifi one in ten people might be lucky enough to pick up but with views like this who needs Facebook! This seating area is popular for people to get together for a few drinks, read or just sit quietly.

The tents are very basic! A few beds, a shelf and a light! Communal bathrooms are around Curry Village but difficult to find at night so bring a torch. We all slept in our hoodies due to the cold and the sheets are more uncomfortable than warm but definitely such a great experience.

Lights out is 10 and rangers walk around ensuring quiet as tents are so close together you can hear everything!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 19; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb