Day 13: on the road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mammoth Lakes
January 28th 2015
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 13

The second week of any holiday always goes so much faster than the first and this is no exception. The realisation we are going home in a few days has hit and the depression has already sunk in!

We check out of the hotel and sit by the pool for a while before we make our way to our next hotel in Mammoth Lakes. Our holidays for basically the last 10 years have been road trip holidays and we never stay in the same place too long as we get bored! And as I am sitting relaxing at the pool for a few hours I realise why! I get bored very easily. The climate is nice and the pool is empty. I dangle my feet in the pool and enjoy my book before pestering everyone to leave and get back on the road for our next adventure!

We leave just as the rain begins but doesn't last long and has stopped about 10 minutes into our journey. The drive to Mammoth is beautiful and through mountains with picturesque scenery and clear blue skies.

Mammoth is just as gorgeous as the pictures showed and I would love to come back at winter and ski. We drive around the resort before we go to our hotel and admire all the chalets and story-book stores. This place reminds me exactly of our stay in Whistler a few years ago.

Hotel number 8 is The Village Lodge and is gorgeous. We get upgraded to a suite and settle in. Once we venture back outside we realise the place is completely deserted due to it being off season and we have the village to ourselves. The gondolas I wanted to ride have finished for the season but the shops are still open. We grab a Starbucks and sit down for a while. The hotel is a large wooden lodge and there are plenty of good photo opportunities. After a while we decide to get back in the car and go for a drive and explore. We definitely need our hoodies here as it is definitely chilly already and only early September. Must be freezing in winter!

There are a handful of good shops and we spend some time browsing in Ralph Lauren before heading back to the village for dinner. The resort is quite expensive for food and shops. We eat in the Smokeyard BBQ House which is attached to our hotel and definitely my favourite meal so far.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb