Day 12: on the road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bishop
January 28th 2015
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 12

Time for hotel number 7!

2 days ago we were in Arizona, yesterday in Nevada and today we are driving back to California.

Tonight we are staying in Bishop and are driving through Death Valley to get there. We had been warned to bring plenty of water for the journey and to stop regularly but it definitely was not as warm as we were expecting.

The road we are driving is running parallel to the mountains and has stunning views. The temperature is sitting at 36.

We stop off in Death Valley at the first shop we find which is Eddie's World. Inside they sell ice-cream, sweets and subway. It seems quite popular and we sit outside on the wall eating our ice-cream and enjoying the heat.

After a while of driving alongside the mountains we take a left along a dirt road and start driving through the mountains. The road is not well sign posted and we are relying heavily on our sat-nav and think for sure we have taken a wrong turn but after a while we start to see signs for Bishop. As we drive through the mountains the temperature noticeably falls and I can feel it a lot cooler when I put my window down.

The drive through the mountains reminds me of our drive from San Francisco to Yosemite a few years ago and is definitely a scary experience driving so close to the edge with such a big drop. The road winds around the mountains and the scenery is really beautiful. This is the longest trip we will have all holiday and it certainly feels it with less places to stop.

Bishop is a very small town, basically just a long road with a few places to eat and a couple of places to stay. We chose Creekside Inn and whilst the room was quite basic it suited us for somewhere to spend the night. We asked at front desk for somewhere to eat and they recommended the bowling alley next door - that was a new experience! The bowling alley restaurant felt very American and it was clear the people in it were regulars as they were on first name terms with the staff. I always feel that if an eatery is busy then it must be alright and thankfully this place was busy! The food was good and service better. After dinner we took a walk in the area around the hotel, which was quick! Despite the old fashioned room and basic amenities, they have the best shower I have had in a long time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb