Day 8 - Yosemite again


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We ran out of time yesterday to complete hike out from Glacier Point, so we returned early in this morning to do so. As described in yesterday's blog, Glacier Point is our favourite vantage point of the valley, and one trip there would never have cut it anyway, so we were pleased to have a reason to return for a second viewing. A short hike took us around to the right of the viewing area, and enabled us to see further round the point and into a different area of the valley floor. It was a lovely walk through the trees with the deer and squirrels for company, and at our vantage point we could take in The Cathedral, Sentinel Dome, and El Capitan, three of the spectacular granite peaks / monoliths of Yosemite which we could not see from Glacier Point. I will attach some more photos, but I know they once again, won't do this place justice.It was another hot day in Yosemite, so we spent the afternoon down on the valley floor, visiting a few difference swimming holes so we could cool off in the river. September is definitely a great time of year to visit as the park is not that busy and at times we felt like we had the river to ourselves. In saying that Spring would be better as the falls would be flowing at maximum volume.Visited The Ahwahnee Hotel for a squiz at how the more affluent enjoy their stay in Yosemite. Would have gone in for a well earned drink but Emma and Sarah were in their togs, so not really appropriately dressed, specially with a wedding on!A great day by any standards, and a little more relaxing than previous days so a welcome break for everyone. Figure that we can't make the kids go non stop every day...and to be honest we can't either!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th September 2012

About time
We have been hanging out for your updates, and wondered if you had given up. Yosemite looks pretty nice, Brett, can your shorts get any further up your thighs.... Keep enjoying your trip and we look forwards to reading the next entry.
9th September 2012

Yosemite
Just got home and found 5 Hjorth blogs, what a treat! Loved reading your Yosemite blogs, brought back wonderful memories of such an amazing place. Enjoy your next adventures as you head south. Can't wait to see all your photos when you get home.
9th September 2012

Finally caught up!
Hi guys - looks like you're having a fabulous time. Yahoo decided the blog was spam, so I only logged on there just in case, and found all your blogs. Anyway, I've caught up now. Happy birthday to Emma, and I'm glad Brett has conquered his fear of dropping the soap since his time in SF, and that his driving's improved. Now I know why I drive whenever we go somewhere!! Cheers - Tim
10th September 2012

Yosemite
From your photos, Yosemite looks absolutely beautiful. What a gorgeous place. I know what you mean when you say that the photos don't seem to do the place justice. The huge vastness of the place is obviously hard to capture. We thought the same at the Grand Canyon.
10th September 2012

now I am getting envious
reluctant to show the girls your blogs, they are so keen for a USA holiday!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb