Sequoias at Mariposa and Glacier Point... the best so far!


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We started the day with a short ride to Wawoma General Store and then caught the shuttle to the entrance of Mariposa Grove and the giant Sequia trees. We commenced out trek around this area starting with the fallen Monarch, the Bachelor and Three Graces, then the Grizzly Giant, then the Californian Tunnel Tree, the Museum, then the Clothespin Tree and last but not least the Faithful Couple. These are amazing trees and absolutely huge. We saw them up close and still struggle to comprehend their colosal size. If you can google them do so... they are truly amazing and even looking at our photos and video soon after we realised they can not capture how imposing these trees are!The hike was again several hours long but the kids were brilliant! Must be my genes... Brett may have played a part too as we all seem to be coping with the treks at this stage but when the sights are like this you do not want to stop.We were pretty happy by this time, which was about 2pm but headed towards Glacier Point to get a view of Half Dome and the Valley in Yosemite. We really were not prepared for what we saw... on the way we caught a glimes or two and had to stop to take it in and it simply was breathtaking. Half Dome was so much bigger than what we thought compared with other views we had had, including from the day before when we hiked up to Vernal Falls and thought we had achieved quite an acomplishment by getting there... well when you could take in the whole view it just seemed to be so insignificant. We continued on to Glacier Piont and then realised we had not seen anything until then. All i can say is stunning. Huge, colosal, imposing, vast and abolsolutely magnificent is not even close to describing it. Being here is certaininly a highlight of both Brett and mine and i hope the kids realise what they have seen in years to come. i won't go on because i don't feel i can do it justice but we are heading back there tomorrow to do a hike to a different point that will give us a view back towards El Capitain, the Sentenials and the Cathederal. Again, if you do not know what i am talking about, google it, they are truely amazing sights and i have not seen Brett so overawed in a long time. It is sodifferent to many things i have seen like the Rocky Moutains but again it has given us all that feeling of total insignificance as if we are a tiny dot of nothing... I guess nature at its best and sights we hope never to forget!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb