Cold, hot, dry, water!!!


Advertisement
Published: December 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Autumn treesAutumn treesAutumn trees

The tree colours are fantastic. So many yellows, oranges and reds. This was a really good time to visit Yosemite. But it sounds like its good most of the year round.
Camping in another cold night. My sleeping bag is a 3.5 season but it was struggling against the night air. My sister wrapped herself up in 3-4 layers of clothing consisting of thermals, fleeces, gloves, socks, and a beanie. Then pulled the sleeping bag tight so that only a small breather hole remained in the top part of the sleeping bag.
I faired better but did not bring my thermals on the trip which would have helped but managed to stick with one layer.
The third thing we learned about Yosemite is that it is dry in autumn, After cycling to what should have been mirror lakes we discovered a big sand beach instead. So not finding any flowing water we headed up to photograph Vernal and Nevada falls, the only two flowing falls in the valley. The squirrels are very tame, most likely due to the regular feeding by visitors to the park, so I managed to get one to pose for me while fooling him into thinking he was getting food.
Once again the sun began going down early so we rode the free bus around the valley and found the showers.
Back at the campsite we toasted marshmallows
Mirror LakesMirror LakesMirror Lakes

They are..er...um...dry. My sister walks across the lake bed.
and smores with our neighbors over a small bonfire and talked about travelling.
A thoroughly enjoyable few days at Yosemite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ah..a huge rock mountainah..a huge rock mountain
ah..a huge rock mountain

It does have a name. All the big rock mountains have names
Vernal FallsVernal Falls
Vernal Falls

At least some water is flowing in the valley.
Photogenic squirrelPhotogenic squirrel
Photogenic squirrel

Man he wanted food, and was pretty cheeky also. Poser!!!
Top of Vernal FallsTop of Vernal Falls
Top of Vernal Falls

Group photo!!!!
Nevada FallsNevada Falls
Nevada Falls

Impressive. But much more impressive in summer.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb