Cruzing to Santa Cruz


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Lombard Street - topLombard Street - topLombard Street - top

Hold on tight...heading down!
A visit to San Francisco is not complete without a ride down Lombard Street (the world-famous crooked street). Earlier we walked down it, but today as we departed for Santa Cruz we decided to put caution to the wind and ride the roller coaster! I don't know who was more scared "me" (the driver) or the walkers as they jumped out of our way.

Before cruising the coast, we decided to drop in on a few old friends as we made our way out of San Francisco...Mrs Doubtfire (Robin Williams movie) and the Tanner family (Full House TV show)! Unfortunately, they were not there...but we enjoyed seeing their homes and knocking at their door!

On our way, we stopped here and there along the coast...

Land's End is at the mouth of the Golden Gate, this area was inhabited by the Yelamu Ohlone tribe, they consider this to be the "edge of the world".

Close to Land's End is the Sutro Bath ruins. This was a vacation spa built back in the late 1800s where 10,000 people a day could rent bathing suits and swim in salt water pools. This was the world's largest indoor swimming establishment. It was built on a small beach inlet. During high tides, water would flow directly into the pools recycling the six pools (two million gallons) in about an hour.

We decided to picnic at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve and explore the tidepools. Unfortunately we arrived at high tide and only found a few treasures. More exciting, we happened on a raft of sea lions. There were more than 50 of them lined up on the beach like sardines sunning themselves. The babies were so cute as they flopped toward their mommies.

On the way into Santa Cruz we drove by inlet after inlet with surfer dudes (and gals) riding their boards. These were not your "beach blanket bingo" crowd of Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello.

Our day has come to an end as we watch the sunset from the Santa Cruz wharf.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Walking LombardWalking Lombard
Walking Lombard

Do at your own risk...crazy drivers
Mrs Doubtfire's HouseMrs Doubtfire's House
Mrs Doubtfire's House

It looked so much bigger at the theater
Mrs Doubtfire's House - sideMrs Doubtfire's House - side
Mrs Doubtfire's House - side

I bet this homeowner regrets the decision to have their house featured in a movie!
House - Full HouseHouse - Full House
House - Full House

You can paint it a purple grey, but we know it was the house featured in the TV series
Land's EndLand's End
Land's End

Beautiful but fragile cliffs
Sutro Bath RuinsSutro Bath Ruins
Sutro Bath Ruins

The view was exceptional
Sutro Bath - old photoSutro Bath - old photo
Sutro Bath - old photo

Can't comprehend renting a bathing suit
Fitzgerald tidepoolsFitzgerald tidepools
Fitzgerald tidepools

Enjoying a sunny day picnic on the beach
Fitzgerald tidepoolsFitzgerald tidepools
Fitzgerald tidepools

Found some treasures
Fitzgerald Marine LifeFitzgerald Marine Life
Fitzgerald Marine Life

Sea Lions sun bathing


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb