The final week ......

United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Cruz
October 28th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Big SurBig SurBig Sur

On the way to Cambria..
By this point, we were finally coming to terms with the fact that soon we would be back in the UK. Hence, Tuesday was a very dull day: we got up around 10am and "enjoyed" our very lame complimentary breakfast, After that we walked to a nearby laundrette as it had been quite a while since the last wash. After freshening up our garments we headed to...yeah you've guessed it....Subway, for our lunch. The remainder of the day was spent in front of the TV as the realisation of going home had really hit us hard.

Wednesday was only slightly more interesting. After "breakfast" we hit the road and headed south to San Simeon and Cambria. We had a very tasty sandwich for lunch which suprisingly was from a deli rather than a well known sandwich chain (no names mentioned!). Not wanting to rush back to L.A we stayed the night in Cambria in a rather fancy Best Western hotel and made the most of the ammenities. Mark enjoyed the complimentary cookies and then we all the spent some much needed relaxation time in the hot tub. Dinner was noodles from the coffee pot and a rather large bag of very sweaty pretzels.

Thursday was yet even more spectacular. We really enjoyed our breakfast with Dale and Ollie making the most of the waffle iron. After spending the last few days doing damn all, we decided to head to the nearby Hearst Castle - a tourist honeypot. We booked ourselves on a tour and rode the bus up into the hills and the inspiring Hearst Castle and its grounds. The bus journey felt like a SAGA holiday and we were at least 40 years younger than anyone else on the bus - purple rinse and spectacles were in full force. However, it was worth it and after our well organised guided tour around the 'castle' we were very glad we had participated. The indoor and outdoor swimming pools were of particular interest and we watched a short film in the home cinema. After returning back down the hill to the visitor centre we watched a brief NatGeo film on the creation of Hearst castle on the biggest cinema screen I have ever seen. At this point, it began to rain (something we hadn't seen for a very long time!) and we headed further south along the coast to Santa Luis Obispo.

We actually 'shopped' around for hotels this time and found a relatively cheap one just outside the centre of town. We chilled out in the room for a while before heading to the towns' Farmer's Market. It was quite an experience and after dodging all the election crazies we bought some strawberries and headed back to the hotel to chill out in the spa with some cold beers.

By Friday we were on the final leg of our journey back to L.A. However, after only 30 miles, disaster struck - we came across an outlet mall which unfortunately led to us all parting with our limiting funds. After a few hours shopping we drove south to Santa Barbera for our lunch. This was a combination of very tasty and very cheap mexican dishes. After lunch we pushed on the last 100 miles to L.A but yet again we stumbled across another outlet mall. This led to more spending and more items for us to carry home! As the sun was setting, Dale fought the L.A rush hour traffic and we eventually reached our hotel. After a long day we played with all our new attire and went to bed at a reasonable hour.


Tot: 2.146s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0393s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb