On the Road Again


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Left Santa Monica and LA with clear blues skies ahead and temperatures around 60 degrees which is positively hot in comparison to the past few days, so warm in fact that Andy even threatened to wear his shorts!

We headed up the Pacific Highway which runs all the way up the Californian coast, and with the ocean on our left and the mountains on our right we headed for Santa Barbara. Passing through Malibu the first signs of fire damage could be seen right down to the coast; now the poor residents have been desperately shoring up the hills behind their houses to stop the mud slides created by the recent storms. It seems crazy that this is some of the most expensive real estate in the USA yet they’re just open to so many potential natural disasters, it must be worth the risk I guess.

We stopped off at Zuma Beach which was deserted bar a few blonde haired surf dudes doing their thang in the surf. Life seems more tranquil outside of LA and certainly cleaner, smarter and a lot posher! It was a great drive, stunning scenery and very chilled. The drive into Santa Barbara is gorgeous, beautiful green open spaces and palm tree lined avenues. The hotel we found on the internet turns out to be a steal at £60 a night, it’s colonial Spanish in style and is situated only 2 blocks that’s about 100m from the sea, and 5 blocks from the main State street with all its bars and restaurants.

After checking in we went down to the harbour and a bracing sea walk along the front to see all the fishing boats and yachts and work up an appetite for some swordfish this evening. It’s great to get out of the coats and macs so hopefully it will last for our final 2 weeks.

Song for the day: The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA

Nina & Andy x0x0


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

On the BeachOn the Beach
On the Beach

All you Neil Young fans out there should recognise the shot!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb