Hollywood - The Alternative Tour


Advertisement
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was pretty cold and blustery so we decided to head back to the flicks to see The Bucket List; well when in Rome… plus cinemas are 10 to a penny here and very cheap too. Would highly recommend the film, Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman at their best; but bring a box of tissues with you. In true American style the audience applauded at the end, but then the film did deserve the accolade.

Today we changed our minds and decided to go for the Tinsel Town tour as the weather wasn‘t too bad; and we’re really glad we did.

Our driver Steve was a real hoot and gave us the alternative tour of the celebrity haunts pointing out all the places where the A listers have had their overdoses, been caught shoplifting or other such indiscretions including the public restrooms where George Michael was caught “washing his hands” and the two spots were Hugh Grant picked up Divine Brown and Eddie Murphy was caught with his transvestite. Of course we did all the usual tourist traps such as Sunset Strip; Grauman’s Chinese Theatre with its famous celebrity hand prints and signatures - boy did Peter Sellers have small feet; the Walk of Fame with its 150 stars in the pavement; Rodeo Drive - strangely not a cowboy in sight, unless you count the one‘s selling Prada; and finally Mullholland Drive with its stunning views over LA and of course the famous Hollywood sign.

We also drove past numerous celebrity cribs, most were quite uninspiring to be honest, bar Phil Collins who had a nice pad on a corner plot. On the bottom of the strip we passed the infamous Whiskey-a-go-go on Sunset Boulevard were The Doors got their first break, The Roxy, The Viper Room co-owned by Johnny Depp and where River Phoenix took his last fatal speed ball cocktail, and the Laugh Factory where all the big comedians including Robin Williams, Seinfeld, and Jim Carey have performed.

I have to say this part of downtown Hollywood is really quite seedy for all its fame and infamy, they must use incredibly good photography techniques to cut it from the film roll on Oscar night… even so it’s well worth the visit and as Steve the driver said “You never know who you might bump into!”

Song for the day: The Doors - LA Woman

Nina & Andy x0x0



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hotel where they filmed Pretty WomanHotel where they filmed Pretty Woman
Hotel where they filmed Pretty Woman

Only Hollywood could have $50,000 chandeliers in the street
ClintClint
Clint

Go ahead punk...
Jack's PrintsJack's Prints
Jack's Prints

Here's Johnny!
Tom's PrintsTom's Prints
Tom's Prints

Life is like a box of chocolates....
Bogey's PrintsBogey's Prints
Bogey's Prints

Here's looking at you...
The Duke's PrintsThe Duke's Prints
The Duke's Prints

Get off your horse....
Hollywood HillsHollywood Hills
Hollywood Hills

Featuring Ice T & Sean Penn's houses
The Hoff's HouseThe Hoff's House
The Hoff's House

Looks like it's sliding down the cliff though


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb