Go SLO


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Vista ApartmentsVista ApartmentsVista Apartments

Our home at CalPoly with Julie
Driving us to the greyhound station was Heather’s final good gesture, we were headed to San Luis Obispo on a scarcely populated bus. We met a guy who told us all about SLO and the goings on at CalPoly, the only reason the town is more than a dot on a map. We hoped to see him out on the town that weekend, but unfortunately we didn’t. Another aussie on the bus’ ears pricked up when he heard our accents, he was in town to see a couple of friends he’d met in Cambodia and once again was keen to see us later on downtown.

Julie picked us up at the Greyhound station and took us back to her apartment on campus. Lucky for us there was a free BBQ so I filled up as much as possible. We then went to a Slam poetry event put on by the university that was actually very entertaining. World renowned poets squeezed as many lines into three minutes as possible in-front of a crowd of almost 1000 students. All had very strong opinions and just as strong support from the audience. One slammed on rape and ended with “All she had to
TriTipTriTipTriTip

The best steak sandwich ever, courtesy of Firestone Grill, San Luis Obispo
say to me, years after the deed was done. It’s not how you warn your daughter, it’s what you teach your son.”

That night we played more beer pong at Julie’s brother’s flat down the road. After a few drinks, gaps in society are no longer. We had a great night with your typical nerds who had loosened up and loved tops. I crashed early while Jake fell in love with Taco Bell. Saturday we drove out to Pismo Beach and tried to brave the freezing cold water. I succeeded, but for a matter of seconds. It seems any water north of LA is going to pose a serious threat to your crown jewels.

It was looking like we’d be doing nothing on graduation weekend in SLO, until Michelle invited us to a blacklight party. The entrance had a strobe light and the house was filled with glow sticks and black and white streamers. It could have been an epic party, except only about 25 people had turned up it. All with a screw loose, and most swing dancing. The open bar with in excess of 30 bottles of spirits made sure we stayed for at least an hour.

Just as our eyeballs were turning purple we headed downtown to the Downtown Brewing Co. a kickin club downstairs, and an awesome bar upstairs. The cover charge was 2 whole dollars, so when I pulled out three flimsy one dollar bills the girl on the door almost pulled out a ring she was that excited. Rob on the bar took care of us all night and even got involved in a punch on between a German and a Pom. Barmen double as bouncers. The 2am shutdown rule is strictly enforced across California and we were out in less than minutes.

Unfortunately we missed church with Julie on Sunday morning, sleeping was very important. Julie’s gorgeous roommate Chelsea was from Salinas, a rural town we’d driven through 2 days earlier, she’d had her dream car for 3 years already, a Chevy Tahoe (truck), lifted with big wheels and lights she said. Only in America.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Pismo BeachPismo Beach
Pismo Beach

and Julie
Look Out!!!Look Out!!!
Look Out!!!

It's the po Po PO!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb