San Francisco So.Journey


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day Five

Begins latish, can't believe this not being up at the crack of dawn run, I think it's because the apartment is so dark. Anyway, go over to Mint Plaza to meet Lachy for a coffee. He's got a work thing on tonight so we're having a morning catch up. We have coffee at Blue Bottle, it's pretty busy, one of those hip and happening spots. Coffee's ok (7/10). It does have a good feel to it. Say goodbye and head off to the bus stop that is hopefully going to deliver me to where I am planning to be.

Going to dedicate this day to Al, a native of Boston, resident of SF who I got chatting to on the number 5 bus to visit the De Young. This guy was such a great ambassador for his city. Friendly, helpful and all round nice guy who escorted me from my stop, through the GG Park and into the De Young. Being a member he took me in as a guest and that included access to the current exhibition of Ricahard Diebenkorn. He then said goodbye and was off... Very nice gesture.

The DeYoung is a huge museum, it is located in the Golden Gate Park and started its life in 1895 as a fine arts museum, multiple iterations occurred through the years due to earthquakes, structural integrity issues, etc and was closed for a rebuild from 2000 -2005. The current De Young is an architectural world of art (Swiss architects won the tender), it works for me! One really cool feature is the viewing deck - amazing views over SF. Nice to watch the layers of fog too.

The Diebenkorn exhibit was interesting- I hadn't heard of him but he was quite prolific with many styles throughout his Berkeley years. There was also a fantastic exhibit on courtesy of theVatican, called Objects of Belief, arts from the Americas, Oceana and Africa. Over 80 000 objects in all, lots of tribal stuff- fascinating.



http://http://deyoung.famsf.org/deyoung/exhibitions/objects-belief-vatican-art-africa-oceania-and-americas

Fridays also happen to be late closing with live events. There was a Fair Trade market running and some live music with a bar. I ate in the restaurant there - nice place, price fix menu on Fridays, good as a solo diner. It overlooked the grounds and some sculpture and was pretty busy.

Headed home before dark on the bus and the California line cable car. Chilly ride.

Another good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Appetisers Appetisers
Appetisers

Friday Prix Fixe
De Young MuseumDe Young Museum
De Young Museum

Awesome views of the city from the viewing platform


8th August 2013
Appetisers

What a great picture
I always check out blogs from CA, and when I read yours I feel in love with this picture. What a great shot. Enjoy the rest of your time in SF and keep the great pictures and blogs coming.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb