Summer 2009 part 1.


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hotel Nikko pool Hotel Nikko pool Hotel Nikko pool

Eskil seems to have learned how to swim!
25.6.09

Left home at 5.15 and had a fairly unadventurous trip to Heathrow where we had to wait for 3 hours for our connecting flight.

11 hours later we we're at SFO and luckily they let us through both immigration and customs.

Took a cab to The Hotel Nikko where Tine immediately crashed due to the fact that she had a very sore throat and wasn't feeling to well. The other 3 went to the swimming pool. When they came back Freja went to bed too, and after a small walk outside and a coffee and a hot chocolate Paul and Eskil succomed to bed as well.

26.6.09

Woke up very early, very hungry as we hadn't eaten for 18hours. The Hotel breakfast began at 6.30 and we were down there not much later. Wonderful. After a really nice breakfast Paul and Eskil went to the swimming pool. Eskil has at last suddenly learned to swim so we think he's going to live in a pool from now, whenever he gets the chance.

Bought a 3 day pass for public transportation and left the hotel heading towards China Town. It was nice warm weather and
China TownChina TownChina Town

China Town street view with Oakland Bay Bridge in the background
the children enjoyed looking into all the souvenir shops filled with all kinds of needless and useless gadgets blended with things that were recognicable from home.

Walked on towards Frishermans Wharf and without actually noticing for a long time found ourselves in Little Italy - Italian flags on all lampposts should have been a give a way. Stopped to buy a sandwich but Eskil would rather have something different and Tine and he walked on to find something else to eat for him. Ended up at Cannery at the Wharf where we sat on a bench and ate our late lunch. Took a stroll and we brutally forced into a camera shop where we bought a new battery for Eskil's camera and they forced a lens filter down our throat. Ended up buying at I hope favourable price but who knows. At least now its protected.

Found the cable car line heading towards our hotel on Mason (Powell-Mason line) and had to wait in line before we at last could board it. That was fun. Were all very tired when we came to the hotel and had a sleep. Decided to eat at the Cheese Cake Factory on
San Francisco cable carSan Francisco cable carSan Francisco cable car

Power-Mason line turning point
top of Macys. Had to wait for 45 min it was extremely busy. Collapsed as soon as we came back home.

27.6.09

Just had something from Starbucks. Their croissants aren't worth eating, well now we know that. Paul wanted to bike the bridge and we took the Powell-Hyde line down towards The Cannery to find one of the many bike rental companies. Its pure robbery at daylight but they know that its a tourist thing so they can charge what they want. Again we had a really nice sunny day. We started our trip but after a while Tine discovered that her saddle kept going down which was very annoying. It was very windy and we feared that it would be stormy on the bridge but strangly enough it wasn't. Had a fantastic view towards the Pacific Ocean and it was good fun to ríde across the bridge with hundreds of other bikers - locals and tourist mingling. The fast ones with bikes that didn't look the same were the locals!!!

Biked down to Sausalito where it was hooooooooooot. had lunch and Freja and Eskil wanted to take the ferry bake to Fishermans Wharf so Tine went
Biking the bridgeBiking the bridgeBiking the bridge

After a steep climb we are on the Golden Gate Bridge!
with them after a very long wait. Paul opted for the bike ride back and arrived 45 min before us.

We were all tired and went to take the Cable car back but what a line we had to wait in. 45 min before we boarded a car - this was the second time in a day we had to wait for transportation for almost an hour. This is a hard on especially Tine's patience, but also on the others when you're tired and want to go home and relax.

Eskil wanted to swim and we all wanted to do nothing afterwards. The kids were so tired (and us too) so we just went to bed without dinner.

28.6.09

And luckily we had breakfast coupons for the hotel this morning, so we made up for the fact that we had gone to bed without dinner.
Today was Gay Pride Parade in SF and all of Market Street was one long parade. We split up so Eskil and Tine could try all the Cable car lines and try to sit outside and hang on the Cable car side and see the cable car museum and buy cable
Pride paradePride paradePride parade

Watching the Pride Parade on Market Street
car souvenirs and Paul and Freja went shopping. Eskil and Tine ended up in Fishermans Wharf where Eskil got his souvenirs, had a small Sushi lund and afterwards we went to see the sealions at Pier 39. there were quite a lot of them lying there soaking up the sun and barking and smelling. Eskil and Tine started walking along the piers towards The Ferry Building. It turned out to be a long and hot walk but at last we arrived and met up with Freja and Paul. Sat down and had a Marguerita (lovely) and Paul and the children also had some lunch at a Mexican place. The children each had a drawing made and we had a long chat with the guy doing the drawings. He was quite knowledgable - not quite what you expect from a quy with only two teeth left. But he was into politics and new about Europe and even - wonders og wonders - Denmark. He also recommended some places to go on our trip and even though he had people waiting to be drawn, he still had time to talk. Very nice guy.

There is one thing that is really awful
San Francisco cable car (2)San Francisco cable car (2)San Francisco cable car (2)

Eskil has become an experienced cable car rider
here in SF and that's all the homeless people and beggars. It is so depressing with all the huge cars, very expensive shops and then all these poor people with nothing and nowhere to go. It saddens you.


Went back home on the Cable and were in luck this time - no long waiting. Eskil again went swimming and we ended up in The Cheese Cake Factory again - not quite as good as the first time so we needn't go back there.

29.6.09

Rented a car for a day (expensive but nothing compared to renting bikes!). Left and went towards Berkeley and Grizzly Peak Boulevard to see if we could find Tine's old house. It was rather sentimental for Tine so see the area even though we couldn't find the house she once lived in, but that was ok. A lot of memories still come back - smells, impressions, sounds.

Went further towards the north after having stopped at Trader Joes for som supplies. Ate lunch overlooking some swamp areas - which was a horrible choice right under the freeway, but the children were hungry. Rode into the wine country of Sonoma and had
East Bay and North Coast TourEast Bay and North Coast TourEast Bay and North Coast Tour

High view on Berkely and foggy East Bay
many wrong turns in very hot weather before we got back on track. Took towards the ocean at Santa Rosa - very nice hillish landscape. all the time we had these huge birds towering over our heads and the turned out to be Condors. Very impressive. Rode along the Pacific Ocean almost on the edge. Very narrow road and very curvy. Had had beautiful weather all day but suddenly the fog came rolling or rather blowing in from the ocean in big clouds. And we just wanted to get back to the hotel as it was nearing 8 pm and the car had to be returned by 9.30 pm at the latest. We made it and bought some chinese to go, which we ate in the hotel room. Time for bed.

30.6.09

Same breakfast as usual. Since it was her brithday and she wasn't really celebrated - Tine had one thing she insisted that we start out with today. Had bought a day pass for public transportation and we took Bart a couple of stops towards Alamo Square where there are a lot of really nice Victorian houses. Walked around the park and the area and ended up
Alamo Square and Fillmore StreetAlamo Square and Fillmore StreetAlamo Square and Fillmore Street

Victorian style houses at Alamo Square
around Fillmore where we went window shopping and had lunch. Walked down to California and jumped on the cable cars back to the hotel. Split up for a couple of hours. Eskil and Paul were looking for a birthday present and afterwards wanted to go to the pool and Freja and Tine went shopping. Frejas choice.

Met up and Tine got her birthday present - she had had a drawing of The Golden Gate bridge earlier. Now she got a small gold replica of a cable car that she had once had but lost. A charm for a necklace or a bracelet.

Went back to Fishermans Wharf for a drink, but that was a bad choice. It got very cold and again we had to stand in line for a cable car. Had som Sushi to go and packed and went to bed.

1.7.09

Breakfast and packed the rest. Paul went to get the car and some money. Tine ended up getting the money because he could only withdraw a very small amount. Don't really know why. Got the car which turned out to be much more expensive than we had expected because the insurance wasn't
Little ItalyLittle ItalyLittle Italy

Coffee break in little Italy after strolling China Town
included and it turned out to be much smaller than what they promised on their webpage. Irritating.





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Biking the bridge (2)Biking the bridge (2)
Biking the bridge (2)

On our way from downtown to the bridge
Biking the bridge (3)Biking the bridge (3)
Biking the bridge (3)

Enjoying a well deserved lunch in Sausalito
Biking the bridge (4)Biking the bridge (4)
Biking the bridge (4)

Downtown San Francisco skyline view
Street viewStreet view
Street view

Parking your car in San Francisco is something else!
The EmbarcaderoThe Embarcadero
The Embarcadero

One of Freja's many self shots taken at the Ferry Building
East Bay and North Coast Tour (2)East Bay and North Coast Tour (2)
East Bay and North Coast Tour (2)

Pacific Coast and Ocean north of San Francisco
East Bay and North Coast Tour (3)East Bay and North Coast Tour (3)
East Bay and North Coast Tour (3)

Passing the foggy Golden Gate Bridge
Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (2)Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (2)
Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (2)

Another mansion near Alamo Square
Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (4) Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (4)
Alamo Square and Fillmore Street (4)

Eskil enjoying a tree rest


7th July 2009

How exciting!
Dear Tine, Paul, Freja and Eskil, It is such fun to see your photos and read notes about your travels thus far. Many adventures (and mis-adventures) make for good vacation memories! It looks like you are seeing and doing a lot, but still have time for an end-of-the-day swim. And as good Danes, you are finding opportunities for bicycling here and there. Best wishes for the rest of your journey! Love, Karen
8th July 2009

1. block
hej, jeg har lige set den her hos Ragnheydur, borghildurs soester her i Reykjavik, det ser godt ud. Mailen har jeg osse set jeg tænkte nok at yosemite var for crowded vi var der jo i april dengang. syntes I alle at LV var forfærdelig? nu skal I vel GAA ture i Bryce eller er det for varmt? jeg har jeans, sokker, ulden troje paa og her er lyst det meste af natten. knus hilser fra Borghildur baade hun og hendes soster har lige set blokken. mor
8th July 2009

bryce canyon
hej, ja på nær Freja synes vi alle det var gyseligt men også lidt sjovt at opleve nu hvor vi ikke er der længere! helvedes varmt, men her er der faktisk behageligt. ca. 27-28 grader og det blæser lidt. vi tager en slapper her til morgen og får vasket tøj mm. og tager så ud i national parken og ser ting og går en lille tur på 1-2 timer med masser af vand. vi bor lige op og ned ad den. i går aftes kørte vi ind i nat. og spiste aftensmad på en lodge derinde og så en masse hjorte. godt du er kølet af. knus tine m. fl.
8th July 2009

Wonderful Travelog
Aloha Tine, Paul, Eskil, and Freja, What a great tale of your adventures so far. It was really a treat to read. I felt like I was going along with you. It was also wonderful to see what Freja and Paul look now. I've already fallen in love with Eskil because he obviously loves his Maine Coon cat. Tine, where are you in all these pictures. Will I know you now that you're all grown up? Sorry about the long lines and waits for everything, from transportation to food. It's high tourist season so it's unavoidable. Just wait until you experience California freeway traffic. Away will go the rest of your sanity! We're used to the crowds, especially in our beach towns and I have discovered the best days to go to the beach or almost anywhere are Mondays and Tuesdays. I suspect most tourists are busy catching up on their laundry those days but I always seem to find a parking spot. And we eat at off hours and in humble places. Meaning cheap. I hope you find the glorious Southwest region less congested. But keep your sense of humor. Your tour sounds magical and the children are getting a rare look at the Southwest and California, thanks to their brilliant tour leader, Ms Tine. love and do keep up the travelog. mel
9th July 2009

Bicycles in Claremont
Hello Tine, Paul, Freja and Eskil, When you arrive in Claremont there are two bicycles in the garage that you are welcome to use. There is a tire pump (red handle) on the shelf in front of the Mercedes to pump up the bike tires. Neither bike has been ridden in quite some time but they should be fine for riding to the village for a latte at "Some Crust Bakery". Some Crust has very good pastries that I miss very much. Michael
9th July 2009

Hi Mel, If you find it fun you can look back in our other travelblog from 2007 and find our blog from most of our trip (we never finished it) and also Samoa. love tine

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb