Catching up (Yosemite and San Fran)


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lombard StreetLombard StreetLombard Street

Crookedest street in the world, no dodgy people hangin round the day i was visiting1
Ok i have been busy (currently at the airport in Vegas ready to fly to Austin, Texas) but I am going to blog my experiences and adventures from California specifically San Fran and Yosemite National Park.

Alcatraz, was a ferry trip roughly 15 minute duration from the mainland. An interesting audio tour allowed you to walk around this once intimidating prison whilst listening to various stories of events which took place including murders of wardens and prisoners, the infamous break-out by 3 prisoners (which may or may not have been successful) and a brief history of famous inmates who were held captive there including the 'birdman of alcatraz' (who was depicted falsely in the hollywood film) and Al capone.

I hired a bike for 2 days and rode around San Fran, though quite 'hilly' in hindsight it is the best way to experience the city i believe.

I crossed the Golden Gate and rode into a small nearby town on the bay called Sausilito. Nothing exciting about this place except that a ferry from here takes you back to San Fran for $10.50. The ride there is enjoyable along the bay partly before entering the township.

The ride around San Fran saw me go through Presido national park, the Golden Gate National Park and through the various outer suburbs which were too far to walk to.

The Haight/Ashbury region, famous for the birth i believe of the hippie movement in the mid 1960's is lined with shops (mostly souvenir) though there was a cool music shop and musical instrument shop which i couldnt help but enter. (I actually caught public transport down there before I left to take a better look without the hassles of chaining up a bike!

San Franciso is an interesting city to explore given its diversity and depth of view it provides as a result of the hills. I was blessed with good weather most of the time I was there and was fortunate enough to meet some cool people.

One such guy, form Atlanta, Georgia, was on a road trip across his country and was keen on visiting the Muir Redwood Forest, which is north of SF roughly 45 minutes.

The national park was awesome and i have provided pictures for you to view. The redwood tree is apparently the tallest tree in the world.

I will
Golden GateGolden GateGolden Gate

NIce day for a bike ride! Oh and what nice scenery!
include my Yosemite adventure with pictures in another blog as this webpage is pissing me off at the moment and keeps moving the page around whilst i type.

Adios for now and enjoy the pictures to follow.

Grant




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Squirrel Squirrel
Squirrel

In the Golden Gate Nat. park, a squirrel checkin me out.
San FranSan Fran
San Fran

I like this one!
The beachThe beach
The beach

At the end of the park!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb