San Diego, California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
September 9th 2006
Published: September 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mission BeachMission BeachMission Beach

San Diego surfing beach, not much in the way of waves when we were there. Ocean was freezing!
Seven nights spent in San Diego right in the south west of California.

Our journey down was also our last Greyhound trip as our pass now runs out, this is a good thing!!. The Greyhound was an experience in itself and we would recommend it as a cheap and (fairly) easy way to see America. Just get ready to see some bizarre people, a real mixed bag. We traveled on Labor day so traffic was busy busy, and we missed one connection in LA. Also saw some pretty extreme forest fires just north of LA.

The city of SD has a lot going for it, its population is well over one million so you get all the good things (and bad) that come with being in a huge metropolis. Our hostel was in an area of the city called the Gaslamp district which was full of restaurants, bars and shops.

The hostel is very nice, clean and organized etc, but a little bit of a social comedown after the green tortoise hostel in SF. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing as it gave our livers some time to recover and let us get some kip.
La Jolla CoveLa Jolla CoveLa Jolla Cove

Very nice place!

In addition to the city centre you also have the pacific ocean (of course) and some really good beaches with white sand and surf. These are only a 30 min bus ride away from downtown and are worth the trip, the water was a bit chilly and surf low on our visit but to complain about that would be unfair to the people reading this who have work tomorrow, ha.

Further North still we visited La Jolla Cove which is.....a cove! but its very beautiful and great for swimming and watching the world go by. The scenery is more interesting than the beaches due to the cliffs and wildlife.

The other great thing in SD is Balboa Park, its the biggest urban park in North America (so they say) and has lots going on there. We visited on a Sunday when the United Nations International cottages are open. These are , as the name suggests, a group of houses each devoted to the culture of different nations in the UN. It was great because in each one you could sample a drink / cake from that nation i.e. coffee from Italy and Strudel from Germany, needless to say
La Jolla CoveLa Jolla CoveLa Jolla Cove

still a very nice place.
we pigged out. The staff in all the cottages were really friendly except the English one, where they ignored us amidst pictures of the Queen and a Cricket Bat.

Finally, we went on an organized tour to the Mexican town of Tijuana which was so interesting it needs its own entry, when we get chance!.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BirdieBirdie
Birdie

A bird, I think its a Pellican anyone got any ideas? there are loads of them at La Jolla Cove.
Our PadOur Pad
Our Pad

Nice room again, a bit like halls of residence.


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb