Canada and the USA - a summary


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
August 14th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route So Far


The last three weeks have been super hectic so I thought i better update to share all (well almost all) that i have done.

Niagara Falls - A geographers dream. The falls were just as amazing as i thought they would be. I rode the 'Maid of the Mist IV' into the thunderous mist of the Horseshoe Falls. I then went down to beside the base of the Horseshoe falls where the undercutting of the falls was clear. Very Noisy Very Wet.
The Canadian officials have been very clever by putting Vegas' lovechild of a city next to the falls so you can appreciate their natural beauty.

New York - I didn't enjoy the city as much this time but did get to do some more off the beaten track sort of stuff. Went to the Stonewall Riots memorial park, found the Ghostbusters firehouse, saw Russell Brand walking through Greenwich Village and went to see the Yankees win at their new stadium. Got caught in a rainstorm which soaked my camera and it didn't work properlly when i was at the top of the Rockafeller Centre - I did get to watch a thunderstorm and lightning behind the Empire State Building though!

Washington DC - Loved it. Proper sight seeing. Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Capitol Hill, JFKs Grave and the Whitehouse. Spent the afternoon pottering around the Smithsonian Museums.

Chicago - Nice enough city with great public art. Enjoyed walking around for the day but didn't really do too much.

Denver - Really laid back city. Pottered around not seeing much. Had a massive sleep, after 2 nights on a train, in a crappy hotel but it had air con...bliss

San Francisco - Amazing City. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge, went on a boat tour (Alcatraz was booked up for the next two weeks), saw a kitesurfing contest, went to Castro, rode on the outside of the cable car and generally had an amazing time. Very cool time there and was sad to leave.

Los Angeles - Didn't have high hopes. Was disappointed. So spread out that difficult to see everything. Took a bus tour which was OK. Hostel was a shit hole but did provide me with one of the finest stories i will ever tell. You'll have to by me a beer to hear it but the code word is 'Chucky' will be worth it

Las Vegas - Gawdy, tacky, camp as hell...I liked it for the first few days. Stayed at the suprisingly good 'Hooters Hotel'. Was checked in by a guy...disappointing! Went to see a comedian magician who was very good as well as a Beatles tribute. Spent my birthday laid by the pool in the morning and then on a Grand Canyon Tour in the afternoon. Got to go in a helicopter. Landed inside the canyon and had some champagne. As we got into the Helicopter to leave the pilot asked "Do you like Rollercoasters?". Cue a return ride of dives and fast climbs as well as skimming the desert floor at 130mph. Amazing fun. Went back to hotel and got drunk watching baseball at the bar. Tried to chat up some girls from Alabama...they had just been to see a male strip show so it was an uphill struggle tbh. They were very nice though and the British accent goes a long way as they were way out of my league. The hangover and the 105degree heat combined for me to not enjoy the last day too much!

San Diego - This is where i am as i write this blog. Across the border tomorrow and then hopefully down the pacific coast too.
Overall i've enjoyed the US but it will be nice to get out of my comfort zone and get on with the really exciting bit of the journey!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb